Immunological Comparisons Between Species

Watch this thread
User148
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I read that species can be compared by looking at immunity. A protein could be taken from humans and injected into chimpanzees. The more antibodies produced (precipitate), the more related the species are.

But wouldn't that indicate that the protein is foreign to the chimpanzee which is why they're producing so many antibodies against it?

Thanks!
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by User148)
Hi,

I read that species can be compared by looking at immunity. A protein could be taken from humans and injected into chimpanzees. The more antibodies produced (precipitate), the more related the species are.

But wouldn't that indicate that the protein is foreign to the chimpanzee which is why they're producing so many antibodies against it?

Thanks!
As you describe it, I'd agree it seems counter-intuitive.

I wonder if you've slightly misread this information, as one early attempt to confirm evolutionary relationships was to innoculate rabbits with human antigens to induce an anti-human antiserum. The antiserum was then challenged with antigens from other mammals like goats, cats, chimps etc. The more intense the reaction (the more precipitate), the closer the evolutionary relationship to humans must be. In these experiments, chimp antigens invariably produced the greatest reaction, demonstrating that their proteins were closest to human proteins.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (16)
28.57%
Take a gap year (14)
25%
Resit my exams (9)
16.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (7)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads