User148
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I read that species can be compared by looking at immunity. A protein could be taken from humans and injected into chimpanzees. The more antibodies produced (precipitate), the more related the species are.

But wouldn't that indicate that the protein is foreign to the chimpanzee which is why they're producing so many antibodies against it?

Thanks!
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by User148)
Hi,

I read that species can be compared by looking at immunity. A protein could be taken from humans and injected into chimpanzees. The more antibodies produced (precipitate), the more related the species are.

But wouldn't that indicate that the protein is foreign to the chimpanzee which is why they're producing so many antibodies against it?

Thanks!
As you describe it, I'd agree it seems counter-intuitive.

I wonder if you've slightly misread this information, as one early attempt to confirm evolutionary relationships was to innoculate rabbits with human antigens to induce an anti-human antiserum. The antiserum was then challenged with antigens from other mammals like goats, cats, chimps etc. The more intense the reaction (the more precipitate), the closer the evolutionary relationship to humans must be. In these experiments, chimp antigens invariably produced the greatest reaction, demonstrating that their proteins were closest to human proteins.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.9%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (41)
44.09%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.23%

Watched Threads