How to deal with friend who drives recklessly

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Have a friend who drives absolutely recklessly and sometimes on purpose because they are depressed. This friend is absolutely impulsive in every way imaginable. Any little inconvenience and they will cope with it by doing something highly impulsive and reckless

They just told me that they drove in a suicidal way because their parents had an argument and drove at the highest speed. This isn’t the first time they’ve done this.

Not sure what to do anymore. I’ve spoken to their parents behind their back once because I really didn’t want them to die. Parents restricted their driving, but my friend continued on ignoring and taking the car

What would you do if you were in my place to help?
MikeOksmall
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only thing you can do is advise them to stop - other than that, don’t get into the car with them...
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Talk to them directly. Advise them that it’s dangerous and you feel uncomfortable.

Please do not get into a car with them.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're a great friend for caring about them so much to speak to their parents about it and post on here.

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do. If they don't want to do anything about it, they won't and you can't change that. You can't change someone else's behaviour.
You could speak to their parents again or speak to them and let them know that you care about them. Basically demonstrate your support.
Please don't take this on yourself, I can see how much you want to help them but at the end of the day you can't stop them. Just be there as a friend as I can tell by your post you are doing already
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (93)
22.36%
No (323)
77.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise