Char14444
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning on applying to study history next year with predicted grades of AAA
My question is do I do an epq? I do t really have too much spare time an only have to January to complete- would it be better to get higher A-level grades without an epq or get lower A-level grades with an epq??
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, history undergrad who did an EPQ here, I think I can help! I wrote a long answer to a similar question here about why I recommend the EPQ: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post91003788
Basically if you have time, I would recommend it, but I did have plenty of time- at my school we did it in year 12 so I did it along with three A-levels (not four) so I managed all right although it was hard. I got an A* but if I had had a month (presumably in year 13?) I wouldn't do so well.
I would say you've got great grades there and wouldn't do it if it would sacrifice them, they are more important Feel free to AMA anything history epq/a-level/undergraduate related though
Char14444
Rep:
?
Hi thank you for your reply-
Last edited by Char14444; 1 month ago
Char14444
Rep:
?
(Original post by historynerd47)
Hi, history undergrad who did an EPQ here, I think I can help! I wrote a long answer to a similar question here about why I recommend the EPQ: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post91003788
Basically if you have time, I would recommend it, but I did have plenty of time- at my school we did it in year 12 so I did it along with three A-levels (not four) so I managed all right although it was hard. I got an A* but if I had had a month (presumably in year 13?) I wouldn't do so well.
I would say you've got great grades there and wouldn't do it if it would sacrifice them, they are more important Feel free to AMA anything history epq/a-level/undergraduate related though

Hi thank you for your reply- I read your other message and you’ve got some useful points. I not sure if you did history coursework but I’m currently writing mine for my alevel and it’s basically the same as an epq we write a 5000 word essay in dissertation style so I’ve already learnt a lot of the skills like referencing and so on. This along with the fact I only have 3/4 months to do it is making me think maybe I shouldn’t do it because I’m not sure how achievable 2 x 5000 word essays in the next few months is along side my other alevels haha.

One question: do you think you would’ve got the place you currently have at uni without your EPQ? Would be interested to know thank u !!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The former, without doubt.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Char14444)
Hi thank you for your reply- I read your other message and you’ve got some useful points. I not sure if you did history coursework but I’m currently writing mine for my alevel and it’s basically the same as an epq we write a 5000 word essay in dissertation style so I’ve already learnt a lot of the skills like referencing and so on. This along with the fact I only have 3/4 months to do it is making me think maybe I shouldn’t do it because I’m not sure how achievable 2 x 5000 word essays in the next few months is along side my other alevels haha.

One question: do you think you would’ve got the place you currently have at uni without your EPQ? Would be interested to know thank u !!
I did history coursework but loads of us did the same coursework and the mark scheme was so specific, it didn't feel very independent or free to research what I wanted and what I wanted to focus on.
It's hard to say about my place at uni. I think I would have but who knows? I would say in your circumstances I would leave it and focus on the coursework Good luck with it!
Char14444
Rep:
?
(Original post by historynerd47)
I did history coursework but loads of us did the same coursework and the mark scheme was so specific, it didn't feel very independent or free to research what I wanted and what I wanted to focus on.
It's hard to say about my place at uni. I think I would have but who knows? I would say in your circumstances I would leave it and focus on the coursework Good luck with it!
Thank you for your help!
charlieday1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doing an EPQ is greatly useful and highly valuable for unis. It does take up a lot of time but if you stay on top of it and actually dedicate a good amount of time to it during the week (treat it as an actual A Level, not just a random thing on the side) then it can easily be done! I've written about doing the EPQ on a blog of mine (mostly referring to music but does still apply to EPQ in general), I have attached the link if you want to look at it further but I'd defo recommend it!! You just have to stay on top of it all cos otherwise it'll be very stressful and just become a nightmare!!!!

https://mollysmusicthoughts.blogspot...c-and-epq.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads