Char14444
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I am struggling with my epq and don’t know if it’s worth continuing. I am predicted AAA and want to study history next year at uni. Does epq give you any advantage in the ucas process? I’ve heard doing a epq dissertation is good when applying for essay subjects and good for personal statement however I don’t want to sacrifice my final A-level grades for an epq.

So my main problem is:
Should I drop epq and focus on getting better alevels or do an epq and perhaps end up with lower alevels??
Rxwa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
It's up to you and what you think is more important. In my opinion, epq is a great qualification to demonstrate your skills in academic writing but it not worth spending too much time on as not all universities take into account epq. It's your A levels that are important in terms of meeting the entry requirements for your chosen course. I remember when I did my epq, i spent more time on it than my actual A levels. It was very stressful for me balancing epq + A levels. If you're good at balancing your time then you should be fine taking epq along side your A levels.
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Char14444)
I am struggling with my epq and don’t know if it’s worth continuing. I am predicted AAA and want to study history next year at uni. Does epq give you any advantage in the ucas process? I’ve heard doing a epq dissertation is good when applying for essay subjects and good for personal statement however I don’t want to sacrifice my final A-level grades for an epq.

So my main problem is:
Should I drop epq and focus on getting better alevels or do an epq and perhaps end up with lower alevels??
Your A Levels should always come first. I'm also applying for history next year an am doing an EPQ alongside my other courses. How far have you gotten with it? When did you start? Where are you applying?

I'm applying for:
History @ Uni of Exeter
History and Politics @ Uni of Sussex
Modern History @ Uni of Chichester
Politics and Contemporary History @ Uni of Chichester
Modern History @ Uni of Winchester
Char14444
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rxwa)
It's up to you and what you think is more important. In my opinion, epq is a great qualification to demonstrate your skills in academic writing but it not worth spending too much time on as not all universities take into account epq. It's your A levels that are important in terms of meeting the entry requirements for your chosen course. I remember when I did my epq, i spent more time on it than my actual A levels. It was very stressful for me balancing epq + A levels. If you're good at balancing your time then you should be fine taking epq along side your A levels.
Only one of the unis i'm thinking of applying to lowers their grades if i take an epq so i would only really be taking it to use in my personal statement and just to have an advantage over other applicants really. I feel i would rather have AAA rather than AAB +epq tbh
Char14444
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Your A Levels should always come first. I'm also applying for history next year an am doing an EPQ alongside my other courses. How far have you gotten with it? When did you start? Where are you applying?

I'm applying for:
History @ Uni of Exeter
History and Politics @ Uni of Sussex
Modern History @ Uni of Chichester
Politics and Contemporary History @ Uni of Chichester
Modern History @ Uni of Winchester
i really haven't got very far and i'm quite far behind my class but i feel it would be easy to catch up. I'm just unsure how much of an advantage having and EPQ will have for me because only 1 uni (Manchester) i'm applying too take grades off for have the EPQ. have you written your personal statement yet? if you have how useful was it when writing about yourself?
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Char14444)
Only one of the unis i'm thinking of applying to lowers their grades if i take an epq so i would only really be taking it to use in my personal statement and just to have an advantage over other applicants really. I feel i would rather have AAA rather than AAB +epq tbh
Hi. To be honest, your A level grades are the most important aspect of your success in getting into most universities. So if you are behind and catching up will take a good chunk of time, it maybe better to concentrate on those. You probably will have lost a lot of teaching time recently - as have all your year group - and so may be better to put what time you have into achieving your best A level grades.
And, you can still talk about your EPQ subject topic in your personal statement as an example of what interests you (if relevant to your proposed area of study at uni), so the knowledge is not lost.
Hope that this helps a bit?
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Char14444
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team)
Hi. To be honest, your A level grades are the most important aspect of your success in getting into most universities. So if you are behind and catching up will take a good chunk of time, it maybe better to concentrate on those. You probably will have lost a lot of teaching time recently - as have all your year group - and so may be better to put what time you have into achieving your best A level grades.
And, you can still talk about your EPQ subject topic in your personal statement as an example of what interests you (if relevant to your proposed area of study at uni), so the knowledge is not lost.
Hope that this helps a bit?
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
This was helpful thank you for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.53%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.85%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (106)
34.98%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.57%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (66)
21.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.28%

Watched Threads