VictoriaSponge98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all
Although I graduated three years ago I’m only now at the point of applying for graduate jobs. I have a 2:1 (though doesn’t everybody) from a converted poly. I had the grades to go to a Russel group uni (but definitely not oxbridge), but was dead set on going to a particular city and the ‘good’ university there didn’t offer my course. I loved my uni and I think I had a better experience there than friends did at their Russell groups. I have no regrets about attending the uni I did, but an offhand comment from an old school friend who’s a Warwick graduate about my degree being less desirable as it’s from a polytechnic has got me thinking. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are really, do employers substantially take into account where a degree was attained or are they more interested in the bigger picture (eg extra curricular experience within that subject area, or just being a more ‘rounded’ person)! I’m not so much talking about Cambridge vs DDD entry requirements here as that speaks for its self, but as a general guide it would be interesting to hear some opinions.
Thanks!
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VictoriaSponge98)
Hi all
Although I graduated three years ago I’m only now at the point of applying for graduate jobs. I have a 2:1 (though doesn’t everybody) from a converted poly. I had the grades to go to a Russel group uni (but definitely not oxbridge), but was dead set on going to a particular city and the ‘good’ university there didn’t offer my course. I loved my uni and I think I had a better experience there than friends did at their Russell groups. I have no regrets about attending the uni I did, but an offhand comment from an old school friend who’s a Warwick graduate about my degree being less desirable as it’s from a polytechnic has got me thinking. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are really, do employers substantially take into account where a degree was attained or are they more interested in the bigger picture (eg extra curricular experience within that subject area, or just being a more ‘rounded’ person)! I’m not so much talking about Cambridge vs DDD entry requirements here as that speaks for its self, but as a general guide it would be interesting to hear some opinions.
Thanks!
Depends on the industry. If you’re going into investment banking, law or finance it would definitely make a difference depending on how high you aim to start within the sector.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The degree and its result is more important than the university but uni reputations vary wildly and there is a perceived hierachy of them in society which can play into recruitment as well as social judgement
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above it will have some weight in investment banking or law. Other industries not so much. The big 4 accounting firms don't care, they don't have UCAS points anymore either, commercial banking like Lloyds bank, don't care and don't have UCAS points either, there are alot of "big" known companies where going to a poly uni won't affect your chances of getting in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads