The Student Room Group

Is it worth working as a first year student?

Is it?
First year and second year are like the only times students do work when at university!

The above point aside.

Anecdotally; I worked first year and it was good for me.

I had an income, I had a place I could get my mind off of university and I had an extra social circle.

Generally, it did me good.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it?

I once had a friend who earned less than a grand even though she worked for the entire summer. As a first year the minimum wage will be LOW and you will only be able to work part time. So no, just do well in your degree
You're more likely to have a lot of free time in first year and a fair amount in 2nd year so If you need money or just want something to-do outside university life than a part time job is a good bet. I worked throughout my first year and and continuing this year as bar/tech staff at my Students Union as they are quiet flexible with hours and understanding if you need time off for deadlines etc plus your working with other students and in my case the managers are similar age to us students so its far more relaxed and sociable than other workplaces.
Is it?

Hiya!

During my first year I had two jobs and would really recommend trying to get one. Not only is it extra cash and great for your CV but is an opportunity to meet other people and potentially other students who may also work there. I set up alerts on Indeed and Glassdoor so whenever a new job in my area was posted I would be notified and could then quickly upload my CV. Be honest with your employer that you are a student and about your flexibility (e.g. how many hours you want a week, any other commitments you have such as face to face lectures or any societies you attend on certain days) and especially if you will be going home or staying during the holidays.

Also, have a look on your university's career page as they post internal jobs such as working as a student ambassador (which is what I do!) which is great pay, flexible hours and has allowed me to meet lots of other students. The university career site will also post external jobs in your local area which aren't always posted on sites like Indeed so its definitely worth a look!

You don't want to overwhelm yourself but I think its good to have a small part time job throughout uni just as something else to do.

I hope this helps! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
I would say it depends on if you need the money and if you have the time.

As many have said above you will most likely have the most free time in first year so this would be the best year to see if it’s manageable with your timetable. Maybe wait to see how much free time you end up having with your timetable. But I would preface that the years get more intense as you go on and it may depend on your course. I can honestly say that after second year I would have struggled to keep up with a part time job and my degree as it got far more intense.

If you need a part time job to supplement your studies and really need the money, you could look into things like tutoring where you can manage your own hours or like temp work, the university way have some resources you can you use to look for uni temp work. I would also recommend working over summer if you need extra cash as you won’t have uni work over summer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Is it?

Hey,

In first year, I had the most free time so I worked as a student ambassador, this involved working on open days, on the clearing phone lines and other uni events. I do think it was worth it as I was able to get some extra money, make new friends and gain new skills. The best thing about working for the university was that it was very flexible so if I had a lot of exams or coursework I didn't have to do any shifts. The work, was however casual so I did not always get work.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending