themagics1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is a question for basically anyone who studying is or who has studied medicine.

So basically I was just wondering how much math is involved in medicine on a day to day basis? either actually as a Doctor or in medical school in general.

For someone like me and possible and others who ain't super genius at maths what would you say level wise for maths would be sufficient medicine/schools at GCSE level as I don't wish to take A level maths in future.

I know some schools require grades in Maths from C/4 to A/7 for some schools but is that actually enough to cope?

If someone can screenshot some complex maths in medicine I'd appreciate it or paste any previous work etc.

Thanks.
Last edited by themagics1992; 1 week ago
pericardium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! Firstly, it’s excellent to see you have an interest in medicine and are looking into it so early. I was the same throughout school and had a good idea from year 9 onwards that I wanted to pursue medicine. I’m now due to start at the University of Lincoln Medical School on Monday, so keep at it would be my initial advice!

To answer your question, I was never too great at maths in school, it was always a subject I struggled with but I came out with a grade 7 in the end which I was elated with, considering the amount of work I had to put in. Complex maths problems were never easy for me to solve, but rest assured there won’t be much of that in medicine as far as I’m aware.

I’ve spent the last six months working in a busy A&E department and I can tell you the only maths I’ve seen the doctors I work with doing is calculating drug dosages based on a patient’s weight. This is a very simple maths problem, and oftentimes doctors just use their phone calculators and whatnot to figure it out. The other time you may be required to use maths is when drawing up drugs, but this is quite simple and is mostly done by nursing staff.

The rest of your maths knowledge will be useful for A-level chemistry, but even so it is only GCSE standard and nothing too complicated. I hope this helps, if you have any questions don’t be afraid to ask
Neurocandid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by themagics1992)
This is a question for basically anyone who studying is or who has studied medicine.

So basically I was just wondering how much math is involved in medicine on a day to day basis? either actually as a Doctor or in medical school in general.

For someone like me and possible and others who ain't super genius at maths what would you say level wise for maths would be sufficient medicine/schools at GCSE level as I don't wish to take A level maths in future.

I know some schools require grades in Maths from C/4 to A/7 for some schools but is that actually enough to cope?

If someone can screenshot some complex maths in medicine I'd appreciate it or paste any previous work etc.

Thanks.
GCSE Maths is fine. You can do medicine without A level Maths.. It’s more reasoning/ deductions/ analysis the higher you go
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks.
Hi themagics1992,

I personally do not do medicine at the University of Lincoln, however if you head over to the course page (www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/mdcmdcub) you can view the entry requirements and find contact details to get your relevant questions answered.

Alternatively if you head to our UniBuddy portal page, you can select your course and find an ambassador to talk to you about your area of study - they may be able to provide you a detailed answer surrounding your course.

You can get there using this link: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/studywithus/chatwithourstudents/

I hope this will help you find the answers you are looking for,

Connor - Third Year History Student
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks.
At medical school and for postgrad exams (MRCP at least): drug calculations and basic stats e.g. working out sensitivities and specificities.

On the job: just drug calculations tbh. There are online calculators for things like BMI and creatinine clearance, but these are pretty basic anyway if you had to do it manually.

There is no "complex maths" by any reasonable definition of the term, just some mental arithmetic and using basic operations.

The only "complex" maths i.e. GCSE standard I've used once (and once only) was at an interview for a university teaching job where I was asked to give a presentation on the cardiac axis which involved some trigonometry. At work, no one uses trigonometry to calculate the cardiac axis so this was purely an academic exercise
Last edited by Democracy; 1 week ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks.
Yeah its fine. Frankly, some doctors' maths is truly shocking they can barely add... but that's what calculators are for isn't it!? And actually even the best person at maths is less likely to make a mistake if using a calculator! Here's a study as an example: https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hea...%20epinephrine.

The biggest demand on maths for any doctor will be statistics used in research papers. Again... many doctors' knowledge is truly shocking, often including those who actually wrote the research! We're talking statistical errors in determining p-values in something like half of research papers (here's a source from psychology - not got time to look for a medical one but it will be very similar). P values being one of the simpler statistical operations required in research! Like, the belief that p=0.051 = no result go away, p=0.050 = result is definitely true lets change everything we're doing... so so frustrating.

So basically: don't worry you'll be in good company. Certainly no expectation that you do maths A-level.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 week ago
themagics1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks to all above replies I think we can safely say A level maths is a miss in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (12)
18.75%
No (52)
81.25%

Watched Threads