Doing part time HNC then doing a different degree course

Watch
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am considering doing a part time HNC course at my local FE college and the fees will be £3500 a year. If I decide to do a completely different degree after the HNC what will happen to my student finance applications?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have 2 years part time study resulting in a qualification then that will use up 2 years of funding.

HE funding is calculated as:
length of new course (eg 3 years) + 1 gift year - previous years of study (2) = the first year of any new degree would be unfunded.

Unfunded means no tuition fee loan for the first year. You would still get a maintenance loan for that year.
2nd year onwards would be fundable with both tuition and maintenance loans.

An HNC is equivalent to 1st year of a degree - don't take one unless you expect it to give you entry into 2nd year of a degree.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you have 2 years part time study resulting in a qualification then that will use up 2 years of funding.

HE funding is calculated as:
length of new course (eg 3 years) + 1 gift year - previous years of study (2) = the first year of any new degree would be unfunded.

Unfunded means no tuition fee loan for the first year. You would still get a maintenance loan for that year.
2nd year onwards would be fundable with both tuition and maintenance loans.

An HNC is equivalent to 1st year of a degree - don't take one unless you expect it to give you entry into 2nd year of a degree.
So if I did a HNC part time that would count as the first year of a degree?

Surely I would get more years of funding because the degrees cost less part time. I am very confused.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
So if I did a HNC part time that would count as the first year of a degree?

Surely I would get more years of funding because the degrees cost less part time. I am very confused.
If you completed an HNC part time over 2 years then that would take up 2 years of funding and mean that first year of a new degree would be unfunded.

The student finance rules don't work well for going from part time to full time study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (91)
22.03%
No (322)
77.97%

Watched Threads