How am I going to make any friends at uni?

Watch
butternut123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm starting university in London next week and, with the current restrictions, I just don't see how I'm going to be able to make any friends. I'm private renting (long story) so I'm not going to have any flatmates who are also students and all of the in-person freshers events have been cancelled this month thanks to the change in social distancing guidelines. I've tried to join group chats for my course and university but there are so many people that I just don't see how you can actually make any friends. Is there anyone who has some advice and/or is in a similar position? Sorry for the rant
twentystraveller
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by butternut123)
I'm starting university in London next week and, with the current restrictions, I just don't see how I'm going to be able to make any friends. I'm private renting (long story) so I'm not going to have any flatmates who are also students and all of the in-person freshers events have been cancelled this month thanks to the change in social distancing guidelines. I've tried to join group chats for my course and university but there are so many people that I just don't see how you can actually make any friends. Is there anyone who has some advice and/or is in a similar position? Sorry for the rant
Hey, I am a final year uni student. It is unfortunate that with these circumstances that your first year and freshers will not be the common experience that many others have. Obviously there will be changes to your university induction and beginning of first year, or at least until things return to as normal as possible.

Hence, from what you have said, that is the best you could do during these strange times. I think give it time and things will fall into place. Every other first year student will be feeling the same as you and nervous as you should be! Don't think that you will be missing out on anything because of current situations, it should be something to look forward to! Good luck!
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You probably got to wait till next year if your entire course is online.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi butternut123

Are all of your classes going to be online? If not you may be able to meet people in your seminars or workshops. I met a lot of my friends through my course. You could also try joining societies, I'm not sure how they will work but you may end up meeting people with similar interests through a society.

A lot of students will be in the same position as you, so try not to worry too much, hopefully everything will go back to normal soon.

Good luck!

Zaira
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! Im gonna start uni at Kings!! I will be studying Physics! If you want to be friends hmu! I will be staying at home btw so I am worried about making friends too!!
SylviaGuzman03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same situation. I have also joined group chats but it doesn't help. Too many people and nobody is really out contacting each other. Its understandable but given the constant irritating lockdowns and restrictions it is so difficult. If you have old friends living in London them just met up with them. What else can we do :/
onceuponatime1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mind if I ask what university in London you are going to? I am in the same position as you too, so perhaps we could be friends, since I have none.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! I think they’ll be quite a few people in the same position as you!

I’m starting my postgrad and doing it online so not meeting anyone new either!

Have you tried looking at clubs and societies your uni offers? I know they are implementing the new 6 person rule, however your uni may still offer clubs / societies just at a smaller scale!

Another idea could be to try and put something in the group chats to create a smaller chat / find people with good common interests. For example, you could possibly ask if there are a couple people on your course and have a separate chat for that? Or ask about a revision group within your course?

Hopefully as your classes start you will become more familiar with classmates (albeit over the Internet if yours are too like mine) and can go from there! You could ask if someone from your course wants to do prep work together in a library or coffee shop (can still social distance)

Best of luck
Tasha
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's better when people in university can't go and make friends because of Covid-19.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads