Civil service/ competencies/personal statements

Watch
Dammie9311
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Hi all,

With the Civil Service having numerous roles out everyday. I cannot seem to make it to interview. I pass very highly the SJT & VRT but it seems my competencies or personal statement as required is the issue.

I use STAR method very clearly. I am wondering if maybe they are too detailed or something I dunno.

Would anyone who has made it to interview for the Civil Service be open to be of help. Maybe look over what I have as competency answers (though I change to suit the level of each role) or share ideas etc. I am desperate. It is so disheartening, I really want a job and I definitely have the qualifications.
Last edited by Dammie9311; 1 day ago
Heldol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Dammie9311)
Hi all,

With the Civil Service having numerous roles out everyday. I cannot seem to make it to interview. I pass very highly the SJT & VRT but it seems my competencies or personal statement as required is the issue.

I use STAR method very clearly. I am wondering if maybe they are too detailed or something I dunno.

Would anyone who has made it to interview for the Civil Service be open to be of help. Maybe look over what I have as competency answers (though I change to suit the level of each role) or share ideas etc. I am desperate. It is so disheartening, I really want a job and I definitely have the qualifications.
What scores do they give you for your competencies? I think it sounds like you are too detailed.
Dammie9311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heldol)
What scores do they give you for your competencies? I think it sounds like you are too detailed.
I get 3s all through sometimes even a 2. Likewise with personal statements, usually between 3 and 4.
Soe of the scales o up to 8 in the feedback. So I average between minimal and moderate demonstration.
Heldol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I get 3s all through sometimes even a 2. Likewise with personal statements, usually between 3 and 4.
Soe of the scales o up to 8 in the feedback. So I average between minimal and moderate demonstration.
You need to concentrate on what you do and not describing the process
Dammie9311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heldol)
You need to concentrate on what you do and not describing the process
forgive me, I seem not to understand
wonderwheels
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi all,

Are you using the Behaviours PDF to help you figure out what to put in your examples? It doesn't matter how strong your example is if it doesn't tick the boxes. I would post the link to the PDF but last time I tried my post got rejected. You can google for it
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi all,

I'm with the Civil Service (One of the 3-letter acronyms) and I also interview as part of recruitment campaigns. Though I haven't done that since COVID-19 popped up to rain on everybody's parade.

Are you making sure that, besides the qualifications, you are demonstrating (via personal statement or competency examples) that you posses what we are looking for at each level? HEO/SEO for example both often involve increasing levels of management responsibilities, comms with stakeholders and such. Are you portraying yourself successfully as somebody who could step into the advertised role and make an impact very swiftly?

Just some things to think about really. Also, as mentioned, are you reading over the advert attachments and the competencies/behaviors each branch is looking for and ensuring you are tailoring the application to it?

What sort of jobs are you going after? How can you tailor your demonstrated competencies for that job?

It's disheartening I know, but don't give up.
Last edited by Grim_Squeaker; 1 day ago
Dammie9311
Rep:
?
I swear to you I do, I really tailor tremendously, sometimes I fear it's even too much. Would you be willing to have a look in general. My competencies as standard are tailored to grade 6 and 7 and I apply for lower jobs
Dammie9311
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonderwheels)
Are you using the Behaviours PDF to help you figure out what to put in your examples? It doesn't matter how strong your example is if it doesn't tick the boxes. I would post the link to the PDF but last time I tried my post got rejected. You can google for it
Yes, I do I have it permanently open. I will review it again though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.5%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.47%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (109)
35.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.29%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.14%

Watched Threads