Considering changing from Bristol to Sussex

Watch
jordanlndn1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So at the moment, I've been having second thoughts when it comes to uni and course and am really confused as to what to do. So I got accepted into Bristol University and when I get there plan on changing course to Management since I'm not keen on studying the course I chose. I know that Bristol is a highly reputable RG university (why I chose it), and have heard that it is a lovely city. More recently I have been thinking about what If I had chosen Sussex University (another uni I applied to). I know a couple of close friends who live in Brighton so am worried that this may be the reason I want to change uni and it's clouding my judgment. Some other positives of Sussex is that Brighton is a great city and the number of people in accomodations is much smaller about 8 which I think I'd much prefer since at Bristol I've been grouped with 25 others. I can be quite quiet and shy at first which is why I'm worried I may not fit in with the typical Bristol student. That being said I do drink a lot and like to go out so that may not be much of a problem. Sussex university is in clearing for Business Studies which Bristol isn't (hoping they may allow me to change). From what I've said do you think changing from Bristol to Sussex is a bright decision? I don't want to look back in years to come and regret having changed to Sussex perhaps because of wanting to be near friends but then again don't want to not have enjoyed my university years.
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m not sure only you really know. It does sound a bit like you want to be near your friends. Think about the course you want to do though. No point wasting a year and money on something you don’t want to do. That said Brighton is a very very nice place for students. But think mainly about what you want to do and not your friends. You’ll meet new friends wherever you go
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jordanlndn1)
So I got accepted into Bristol University and when I get there plan on changing course to Management since I'm not keen on studying the course I chose.
Don't wait till you get to Bristol -- phone Bristol's Admissions team on Monday morning and talk to them about what your options are. It'll be much easier to sort this out before you start, rather than trying to make arrangements after the course has started. But bear in mind that there's no guarantee that you'll be able to change; there might not be places available on the course. If Bristol allow the change, then that's great; if they don't, you'll have a bit more time to consider your options.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is lonely being away from friends, and it doesn't help that you can't see in the future to see if you'll make friends in bristol, so I would say look into the course you want to do in Sussex, draw up pros and cons and go from there. to be honest, I dont think bristol and Sussex ranking will differ much in the grand scheme of thing because I still have to work just as hard to find jobs with the bristol name. uni isn't solely about the course, your social life and mental health and just life quality in general matters just as much, if not more these days. uni ranking isn't that helpful really, unless it's oxbridge, even then whether you get a job or advance post graduate will depends on your self-marketing skills more than anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads