TV characters with incidental autistic traits.

Watch
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Autism on TV is very very serotyped- eg. Genius that makes ridiculously inappropriate comments, dresses weirdly & has no friends.

Can anyone think of any TV characters that either are meant to be autistic and don't display the TV stereotype OR incidentally show autistic traits?
ameliadaismorgan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Autism on TV is very very serotyped- eg. Genius that makes ridiculously inappropriate comments, dresses weirdly & has no friends.

Can anyone think of any TV characters that either are meant to be autistic and don't display the TV stereotype OR incidentally show autistic traits?
Abed from Community
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by ameliadaismorgan)
Abed from Community
Oooh never watched community!
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
bbc's sherlock, maybe?
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
bbc's sherlock, maybe?
Nah, I doubt (in real life) he would actually be considered to be autistic, he's probably a psychopath.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah, I doubt (in real life) he would actually be considered to be autistic, he's probably a psychopath.
most psychopaths have superb social skills and 0 empathy. i think sherlock has a lot of asperger's traits at least. but who knows
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
most psychopaths have superb social skills and 0 empathy. i think sherlock has a lot of asperger's traits at least. but who knows
I always got the sense though that he understood the social norms/ rules, but felt that he was above them/ saw no point in them.
Its been a while since I watched it though.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ameliadaismorgan)
Abed from Community
Abed is an interesting case, because writer Dan Harmon wanted to write him as autistic, started relating to him on an odd level, took it up with a prof, and actually ended up getting himself an autism diagnosis because of it.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
bbc's sherlock, maybe?
yeah. bendict cumberbatch has denied it but i can definitely see parts of myself in him. i relate a little more to the elementary sherlock, though
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Saga Noren from The Bridge [Scandinavian crime drama]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_Nor%C3%A9n
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tilly from Star Trek discovery?
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- Atypical
- The A Word
- a couple of characters from Girl Meets world are (been ages since have watched that though)
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

When I read this thread, I thought of Sheldon Cooper from TBBT spontaneously! But a real autist who plays an autist in a TV? no, I can't name an actor/actress.
Mkb24764
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
Saga Noren from The Bridge [Scandinavian crime drama]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_Nor%C3%A9n
She makes inappropriate comments, and is very forward with sex with no emotional connection...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.6%
I'm not sure (54)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.2%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (577)
48.69%

Watched Threads