Considering changing from Bristol to Sussex

Watch
jordanlndn1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So at the moment, I've been having second thoughts when it comes to uni and course and am really confused as to what to do. So I got accepted into Bristol University and when I get there plan on changing course to Management since I'm not keen on studying the course I chose. I know that Bristol is a highly reputable RG university (why I chose it), and have heard that it is a lovely city. More recently I have been thinking about what If I had chosen Sussex University (another uni I applied to). I know a couple of close friends who live in Brighton so am worried that this may be the reason I want to change uni and it's clouding my judgment. Some other positives of Sussex is that Brighton is a great city and the number of people in accomodations is much smaller about 8 which I think I'd much prefer since at Bristol I've been grouped with 25 others. I can be quite quiet and shy at first which is why I'm worried I may not fit in with the typical Bristol student. That being said I do drink a lot and like to go out so that may not be much of a problem. Sussex university is in clearing for Business Studies which Bristol isn't (hoping they may allow me to change). From what I've said do you think changing from Bristol to Sussex is a bright decision? I don't want to look back in years to come and regret having changed to Sussex perhaps because of wanting to be near friends but then again don't want to not have enjoyed my university years.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jordanlndn1)
So at the moment, I've been having second thoughts when it comes to uni and course and am really confused as to what to do. So I got accepted into Bristol University and when I get there plan on changing course to Management since I'm not keen on studying the course I chose. I know that Bristol is a highly reputable RG university (why I chose it), and have heard that it is a lovely city. More recently I have been thinking about what If I had chosen Sussex University (another uni I applied to). I know a couple of close friends who live in Brighton so am worried that this may be the reason I want to change uni and it's clouding my judgment. Some other positives of Sussex is that Brighton is a great city and the number of people in accomodations is much smaller about 8 which I think I'd much prefer since at Bristol I've been grouped with 25 others. I can be quite quiet and shy at first which is why I'm worried I may not fit in with the typical Bristol student. That being said I do drink a lot and like to go out so that may not be much of a problem. Sussex university is in clearing for Business Studies which Bristol isn't (hoping they may allow me to change). From what I've said do you think changing from Bristol to Sussex is a bright decision? I don't want to look back in years to come and regret having changed to Sussex perhaps because of wanting to be near friends but then again don't want to not have enjoyed my university years.
Hi!

Bristol is a great university and does have a good reputation but it is important to be mindful that university experiences in general is subjective so in this regard, reputation doesn't really count for much! I would recommend having a scan for student experiences at Bristol to see how people have found it there as this is what I did when I looked at universities to see what student life is like there.
As a student who is currently doing their undergrad at Sussex, I can say I have had an amazing time and I really enjoy my course. I would really stress having a look at the kind of content you will be studying as being a key indicator as to whether you would enjoy your time at that university or not (and simply moving closer for friends can be you regret quickly!). Whilst I am not a Business student, I have a few friends that do study Business. The Business School at Sussex is quite big/popular course and has one of the nicest buildings (in my opinion haha). Have you considered a foundation year course? This might be a nice way to see how you feel about Sussex and if you are not happy, you can move elsewhere at the end of the year, just a little suggestion Hope this is helpful! Best of Luck,

Meena (3rd Year Politics Undergraduate)
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
bristol is deffo the superior uni in rankings

can you possibly organise a visit to sussex uni? come visit our campus and see for yourself what vibe you get. i like the vibe of sussex, ppl here are lovely and it's a very pretty campus

having said that i think bristol is a better city compared w/ brighton. but brighton is by the sea so different vibe ;-) oh and brighton is more expensive than bristol too (more londoners here and more london prices when it comes to rent)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (218)
55.9%
I don't have everything I need (172)
44.1%

Watched Threads