ulee81
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the assessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.
Last edited by ulee81; 4 weeks ago
denideth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ulee81)
Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the accessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.
Ah, I remember this struggle well. I love writing and found myself rambling, even if I thought it was relevant to the topic. I got my mark back for our practice assignment on Cell Biology and I got a Merit, mainly because I wasn't being direct. A friend who got the highest mark in the class gave me a super helpful tip: write as if you hate the person reading it. Direct. Straight to the point. You don't like them. Keep it short. Don't waste words.

It worked, and I got Distinctions in every assignment after that Good luck.
ulee81
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by denideth)
Ah, I remember this struggle well. I love writing and found myself rambling, even if I thought it was relevant to the topic. I got my mark back for our practice assignment on Cell Biology and I got a Merit, mainly because I wasn't being direct. A friend who got the highest mark in the class gave me a super helpful tip: write as if you hate the person reading it. Direct. Straight to the point. You don't like them. Keep it short. Don't waste words.

It worked, and I got Distinctions in every assignment after that Good luck.
Thanks for your advice! I actually managed to downsize it. Oh, I hated them while I was doing it, that's for sure! The assessor accepted it but said that some of the explanations were limited. At least I'm over it now. Thanks again!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ulee81)
Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the assessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.
Then you need to see the woods for the trees and focus on the main points whilst condensing others. Soemthing will have to give and some of your writing will not be scoring any marks even though you view it as indispensible. You need rebuilding rather than tinkering. the task is to write the best report you cna within the word limit. so some things are going to be more important than others.
Cmelissa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if anoyone needs help i got a merit for this unit just message me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads