Have no friends and spend time alone

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm a guy who's just graduated now in this rut. Started coming out more, but feel self conscious because I've gained weight and sweat easily in the heat plus I go alone into London but with no one to go with, feel sad seeing couples, small groups, etc out..
1narha.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As someone who has also recently graduated and back home with no friends to spend my free time with, I get it. But you should find some hobbies you enjoy doing and try join a soical event. You could download some friend apps like bumble to meet more people. Take yourself out on dates, or hit the gym and work on yourself to build up your confidence. Be proactive and have a positive mindset
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi young man - SARS-COV-2 has played havoc on us all, but brace yourself and take things in your stride; I would suggest the following measures [albeit difficult in this crisis]:-

1. Have you got a job? Even if your work is performed remotely, there is bound to be some communication, either written or verbal OR online conferencing, so you will meet people, although not in person - this could spark some friendships.
2. A number of gyms are now accepting members/others as long as you book a session beforehand and follow social distancing and cleanup rules - do some workouts to kill two birds with one stone - you can get a little fitter, AND you will meet people, possibly an actual bird (non-flying variety!).
3. Go to places where young people gather e.g. parks, sea-side [oc keep away from crowded places] - UK is a small island with a corrugated border, so [just like in nature e.g. proximal convoluted tubule in kidney, alveoli in lungs, villi in gut, etc which have v large surface areas] we have abundant coastlines in comparison to area, so you will find quieter beaches - girls looking for a partner go to such places and others that are closed rn (e.g. libraries + museums).
4. Take up any other outdoor hobbies [photography, sports e.g. cycling [visit meetup.com for sporty and other group events]], register and turn up - you are bound to meet people.

Just one proviso - my view is that there is going to be a massive 2nd coronavirus peak in winter, so plan accordingly e.g. act fast NOW!

Good luck - humankind is a gregarious species, so you will succeed.

Be safe!
M [ultimate optimist ]
Aluka H Manuela
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 1narha.)
As someone who has also recently graduated and back home with no friends to spend my free time with, I get it. But you should find some hobbies you enjoy doing and try join a soical event. You could download some friend apps like bumble to meet more people. Take yourself out on dates, or hit the gym and work on yourself to build up your confidence. Be proactive and have a positive mindset
I agree with this ...
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
l love been able to do things on my own but that does not mean that l dont talk with other people l am very independent l lost one of my good friends last year so sad but we have to keep going on in the mind you can take up running join a running club they will make you more than welcome and you will meet lots of friends there there is lots of other clubs you can join as well look up stuff on the internet for your area
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
l love been able to do things on my own but that does not mean that l dont talk with other people l am very independent l lost one of my good friends last year so sad but we have to keep going on in the mind you can take up running join a running club they will make you more than welcome and you will meet lots of friends there there is lots of other clubs you can join as well look up stuff on the internet for your area
Sorry to hear about your friend. I lost one of my best friends earlier in the year too so that was a difficult start and now with even less friends it's just plain uncomfortable. Will have a look at clubs but this whole rule of six stuff and talk of a new lockdown throws a spanner into the works tbh
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1narha.)
I like doing photography and writing sometimes so those keep me busy, but social events are hard to come by. Have considered going back to my old uni sometimes (its 10-15 mins away by train) just to head to the pubs there and meet random people to make friends, but that might just be a little weird now come to think of it.

Hitting the gym is something that I will start doing soon. As for dates, my record on dating apps is pretty bad and moving a conversation from there borders on impossible. Doesn't help that I don't have any female friends either..
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Still in the same phase tbh
Strawbbyss
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Heyyy it’s okayyyy ur own company is the best company tbffff but u could always make new online friendss if I lived in London it’s like 2 hours away from me I would meet youuu and hang out with youu keep urself busy x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Strawbbyss)
Heyyy it’s okayyyy ur own company is the best company tbffff but u could always make new online friendss if I lived in London it’s like 2 hours away from me I would meet youuu and hang out with youu keep urself busy x
Been in my own company for 22 years and it just hurts. Tried to make online friends but it doesn't really last; appreciate your words though, you seem very friendly
Strawbbyss
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Been in my own company for 22 years and it just hurts. Tried to make online friends but it doesn't really last; appreciate your words though, you seem very friendly
Damnnn 22 years ?!?! and I get what ur saying dwww I’ll be ur matee talk to me wheneverr i used to be like that but now I talk to everyone and get along with everyonee x
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
plus I go alone into London but with no one to go with, feel sad seeing couples, small groups, etc out..
Take it from me, you'll get used to it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
Take it from me, you'll get used to it.
I guess when I'm with others but alone I can't
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Strawbbyss)
Damnnn 22 years ?!?! and I get what ur saying dwww I’ll be ur matee talk to me wheneverr i used to be like that but now I talk to everyone and get along with everyonee x
Yeah ikr but thanks that's so reassuring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed