The Student Room Group

Sister got fined £40 then the letter came and it's £70

Despite telling my mom to give my sister an adult fare, she gave her the child fare. I was fined last year and I've learned my lesson and I got it over and done with by paying £40 upfromt.

Fast forward, my sister got fined. The letter just came through and I thought we were paying £40, turns out it's now £70. I contacted national express and the person I was talking to said, it's £70 when it comes through the post and that he's going to take my card details through the phone... so I told him I'll get back to him. Idk if this is expected or what? I know they're notorious, but it took them 21 days to send the letter hence why it went up by £30, i feel like this was done deliberately.

My sister is 16 and I know it's an eyeroll moment, but £70 is ridiculous, she doesn't have the money. I'm holding back on going all Karen with the customer service. So annoooooyeed
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Shebam
Despite telling my mom to give my sister an adult fare, she gave her the child fare. I was fined last year and I've learned my lesson and I got it over and done with by paying £40 upfromt.

Fast forward, my sister got fined. The letter just came through and I thought we were paying £40, turns out it's now £70. I contacted national express and the person I was talking to said, it's £70 when it comes through the post and that he's going to take my card details through the phone... so I told him I'll get back to him. Idk if this is expected or what? I know they're notorious, but it took them 21 days to send the letter hence why it went up by £30, i feel like this was done deliberately.

My sister is 16 and I know it's an eyeroll moment, but £70 is ridiculous, she doesn't have the money. I'm holding back on going all Karen with the customer service. So annoooooyeed

You sound by your own explanation like serial offenders.
If you believe the increased amount was due to their delay, then simply appeal and ask to pay the lower amount.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You sound by your own explanation like serial offenders.
If you believe the increased amount was due to their delay, then simply appeal and ask to pay the lower amount.

Getting fined isn't that uncommon. Lots of people get away with it, me and my sis being the ones that didn't. Oh well. My mom is weird, despite telling her to give us the adult fare, she was persistent that we could get away the child fare. In both instances, she's unaware of our fines. Thanks
Original post by Shebam
Getting fined isn't that uncommon. Lots of people get away with it, me and my sis being the ones that didn't. Oh well. My mom is weird, despite telling her to give us the adult fare, she was persistent that we could get away the child fare. In both instances, she's unaware of our fines. Thanks

As I said you sound like serial offenders. Why havent you told your mum?
You mum needs to pay if she insisted on your sister paying the child fare
Reply 5
This is your mother's fault, she should be paying.
Original post by Shebam

The point of the fine is a deterrent especially given I doubt this is the only time she used the incorrect ticket. £70 is not ridiculous and well if she doesn't have the money, they she should have got an adult ticket
Original post by Shebam

Maybe if you had told her about the first fine then she wouldn't have tried to get away with the child fare a second time.
And your sister didn't have to travel on the incorrect ticket, it is also her fault as she would have known what she was doing is wrong and illegal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending