alooooo1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What are the effects of having a poor project management?
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alooooo1234)
What are the effects of having a poor project management?
What ideas have you had so far?
stillgrey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The scope of this question is huge and doesn't just apply to software.

Let's say you have a team of 5 people working on a project, 3 engineers, 1 project manager, a designer (for example's sake). Each of those people will be costing, at a minimum £250 per day. 250*5 = £1,250. If your project overruns by a month because of poor management, that's firstly ~£25,000 of unexpected cost, and also £25,000 worth of resources that could have been allocated elsewhere.

This is an often overlooked aspect of projects is people. A great project manager will be able to assign people to the right jobs in order to get a balance of efficiency but also enough diversity in the work so people don't get burned-out (bored). There is also the skill of sorting out people's personal issues diplomatically so they don't disrupt the team.

As a product manager (a once data scientist, then project manager now head of product) I could list a hundred things. I would recommend reading some books about modern project management, they tend to be quite sort and will give you skills for life that will let you climb up the ladder from a developer into management very quickly (you won't want to stuck in the product development side of things into your thirties).

Rework by David Heinemeier Hansson and Jason Fried and Zero to One by Peter Thiel are good starting points.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads