HTJ189
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi

I've recently graduated university with a 2:1 in criminology. I'm looking to break into the world of IT, more specifically cyber security. I understand that I have picked a naff degree to help propel me into the world and that work experience is necessary for getting hired, I'm just wondering if theres any further tips people can provide?

I am working towards my CompTIA qualifications.

TIA!
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do you have any ideas what exactly you're looking to do in cyber? It's an incredibly broad field, and if you've got even a slight idea of what you want to end up doing that can be useful for heading in the right direction.

That said, a general entry point is to learn a bit of everything. At a bare minimum, some programming experience and basic networking skills are useful, as is building experience using Linux. Beyond that, it'll depend what sort of field you're interested in.
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with what "Username" posted. It's a shame you didn't do a BSCS degree [Bachelors in Computer Science] - because then you would have gotten a background in programming and network operation. I would suggest that a good starting point would be a job with GCHQ [Cheltenham] or a similar organisation. Cellphone operation is hot right now, and linguistic skills in Pashtu, Urdu, Arabic, Farsi, etc are quite valuable too. A BSEE would also be useful. Those of us who have that credential become more involved in the hardware/operation end of things than the computer science people do.

My background is in electrical engineering, but i've worked in microwave [those towers you see on mountaintops], satellites, two way radios, the space program, cellphones, and other areas. I changed jobs as opportunities presented themselves - i suspect you will too. I spent a few years overseas at the beginning of my career, and wish at this point i had spent more. The entire Uk is about 10% smaller than Nevada, so restricting yourself to operating in an area that small is very restrictive. As of now, i've worked in 14 countries, nearly all US states, and most of the provinces in Canada. Best of luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (132)
61.4%
I don't have everything I need (83)
38.6%

Watched Threads