The Student Room Group

Breaking into the Cyber Security world

Hi

I've recently graduated university with a 2:1 in criminology. I'm looking to break into the world of IT, more specifically cyber security. I understand that I have picked a naff degree to help propel me into the world and that work experience is necessary for getting hired, I'm just wondering if theres any further tips people can provide?

I am working towards my CompTIA qualifications.

TIA! :smile:
Do you have any ideas what exactly you're looking to do in cyber? It's an incredibly broad field, and if you've got even a slight idea of what you want to end up doing that can be useful for heading in the right direction.

That said, a general entry point is to learn a bit of everything. At a bare minimum, some programming experience and basic networking skills are useful, as is building experience using Linux. Beyond that, it'll depend what sort of field you're interested in.
Reply 2
I agree with what "Username" posted. It's a shame you didn't do a BSCS degree [Bachelors in Computer Science] - because then you would have gotten a background in programming and network operation. I would suggest that a good starting point would be a job with GCHQ [Cheltenham] or a similar organisation. Cellphone operation is hot right now, and linguistic skills in Pashtu, Urdu, Arabic, Farsi, etc are quite valuable too. A BSEE would also be useful. Those of us who have that credential become more involved in the hardware/operation end of things than the computer science people do.

My background is in electrical engineering, but i've worked in microwave [those towers you see on mountaintops], satellites, two way radios, the space program, cellphones, and other areas. I changed jobs as opportunities presented themselves - i suspect you will too. I spent a few years overseas at the beginning of my career, and wish at this point i had spent more. The entire Uk is about 10% smaller than Nevada, so restricting yourself to operating in an area that small is very restrictive. As of now, i've worked in 14 countries, nearly all US states, and most of the provinces in Canada. Best of luck!!
Original post by HTJ189
Hi

I've recently graduated university with a 2:1 in criminology. I'm looking to break into the world of IT, more specifically cyber security. I understand that I have picked a naff degree to help propel me into the world and that work experience is necessary for getting hired, I'm just wondering if theres any further tips people can provide?

it's not a naff degree at all, understanding how crims work and think is paramount to Cyber Sec... Cyber Crims just do it behind a screen... my advise would be to think about why you did the Criminology degree in the first place and see if you can create your own roadmap in to cyber security... the great thing is that there are jobs in CS left right and centre... you just have to adapt what you have learnt, spin it up to a cyber security level.. SOC Analyst maybe? there are literally loads... here is a link to 50 cyber security roles that you probably never heard of... https://cybersecurityventures.com/50-cybersecurity-titles-that-every-job-seeker-should-know-about/

Happy Learning.... and good luck in the Cyber Security World... it is amazing.
Original post by Scott Winchester
it's not a naff degree at all, understanding how crims work and think is paramount to Cyber Sec... Cyber Crims just do it behind a screen... my advise would be to think about why you did the Criminology degree in the first place and see if you can create your own roadmap in to cyber security... the great thing is that there are jobs in CS left right and centre... you just have to adapt what you have learnt, spin it up to a cyber security level.. SOC Analyst maybe? there are literally loads... here is a link to 50 cyber security roles that you probably never heard of... https://cybersecurityventures.com/50-cybersecurity-titles-that-every-job-seeker-should-know-about/

Happy Learning.... and good luck in the Cyber Security World... it is amazing.

I don't agree with cyber jobs everywhere, plus any degree is good to get a job in cyber except a degree in cyber which definitely means you have no interest in cyber, as at least that's what I have experienced. Even a degree in German poker history is lot more relevant to work as a SOC analyst. All what matters is having contacts and who you know. No matter what you know or what degree you have, if you don't know people then forget about it. Ethnicity plays a big role too, it helps being a white person to land these jobs, tried and tested. Degrees and certs mean $h!t to work in cyber, just have contacts and be white, that's your ticket to your grand cyber career.
So all universities should be shut down then in this country isn't it? What exactly is the point of going to university learning something for 3 long years. doing assessments, exams and researching that field? It's all bloody useless just because people like you believe that University education is completely useless and does not make people eligible to start a career in that field!! This toxic and negative mindset along with the wide spread corrupt recruitment malpractices are what's causing unemployment amongst people who actually want to learn and trying to find a place to start. Sounds like you were born with experience and a master of cyber world, absolutely pathetic arrogant and patronising attitude.
Reply 6
Original post by HTJ189
Hi

Hi, as others have said cyber is a wide area, so knowing specifically the role(s) within cyber would help you reach your goal more strategically. Start with learning about networking as this is usually the building blocks for communications and security. CompTIA A+, followed by CCNA, CCNP, Network+ and from there look for more security specific qualifications.

If you begin with CompTIA A+, there is a study guide to follow called "Darren's Study Guide" for CompTIA A+
www.aplusdumps.co.uk
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending