Is The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit hard to read?

Watch
word_boxed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m a literature student and everyone in my classes CONSTANTLY talk about the lord of the rings and the hobbit and I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t read them, but I want to. I’m a bit intimidated by them and I’m also a bit dyslexic and I was wondering if anyone has struggled to read them? In terms of writing style and things like that.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by word_boxed)
I’m a literature student and everyone in my classes CONSTANTLY talk about the lord of the rings and the hobbit and I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t read them, but I want to. I’m a bit intimidated by them and I’m also a bit dyslexic and I was wondering if anyone has struggled to read them? In terms of writing style and things like that.
Hobbit is a childrens book and relatively short. Easy read.
LOTR more challenging as it is long plus some of the names are made up, so lots of people might find them strange dyslexic or not.

You could ofc watch the films or listen to the audiobooks.
The Hobbit film was dragged out so differs quite a lot from the film. The first 30-45 mins of film 1 is really dull.

Andy Serkis did a read through for charity.

Rufus the red
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'd recommend them although they are slightly overrated (but better than Harry Potter which is - in my opinion - very overrated).
Em395
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I wouldnt say they were confusing to read but I had to take a break from the lotr series because it was a tad heavy.
Alternatively, the Hobbit is an easy read because it is aimed at a different target audience and so the language is more relaxed.
emmageddon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hobbit is super easy and lord of the rings is manageable. The hardest of his works (at least to me) are his essays and maybe the Silmarillion
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 9 months ago
The Hobbit? No.
LOTR? Somewhat.
The Silmarillion? Yes.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm about to read the Hobbit actually.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Heresy I know, if you can’t be bothered, watch the movies, truly greats imo
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am a huge LoTR fan and even I struggle with The Silmarillion. I have tried reading it on paper, ebook and even audiobook but there is just so much to take in. I just watch Youtube videos to try and understand what the book says. It feels more like a history book than a novel. The Hobbit and LoTR trilogy are easy to read. Still a lot of names and places to remember but definitely worth reading. The Fellowship of The Ring is my all time favourite book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.39%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (35)
30.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.43%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.35%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
24.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.74%

Watched Threads