Being ignored for my mental health

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've told my parents many times I feel depressed. My dad isn't even in my life so I don't even bother with telling him but whenever I told my mum she blames it on something else. She ends up saying me crying for 2 hours and being depressed 24/7 is because of me drinking a simple 'cup of coffee' and that the caffeine must be too much for me to deal with, despite me being depressed every single second of the day every week? Then another time I told her that I can't sleep and I have insomnia and she said I was lying about staying up till 4am and that I was looking for attention. From that day I kind of made a promise to myself to not share my mental health because I looked like someone who was looking for attention apparently. Its her ignorance to depression that really irritates me. Sometimes she sees that I have been crying or whatever and she doesn't even ask if I'm okay. Sometimes i've cried in front of her and she never asked if I was ok then either. She works long hours so I think that explains some of it but that counts as an excuse to an extent right? Apparently she's going to take me to get help but then she just forgets it completely and thats happened a few times. Now the other day she's seen her friend and she starts saying how she was in a depression and kept crying in the restaurant, and that she couldn't believe how someone could get to that ''stage'' where they can't control themselves crying in public, even though that has been ME a thousand times. I dont know I just wanted to vent about this somewhere. The situation is just really getting me and I needed to talk about everything since I just get ignored irl
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've told my parents many times I feel depressed. My dad isn't even in my life so I don't even bother with telling him but whenever I told my mum she blames it on something else. She ends up saying me crying for 2 hours and being depressed 24/7 is because of me drinking a simple 'cup of coffee' and that the caffeine must be too much for me to deal with, despite me being depressed every single second of the day every week? Then another time I told her that I can't sleep and I have insomnia and she said I was lying about staying up till 4am and that I was looking for attention. From that day I kind of made a promise to myself to not share my mental health because I looked like someone who was looking for attention apparently. Its her ignorance to depression that really irritates me. Sometimes she sees that I have been crying or whatever and she doesn't even ask if I'm okay. Sometimes i've cried in front of her and she never asked if I was ok then either. She works long hours so I think that explains some of it but that counts as an excuse to an extent right? Apparently she's going to take me to get help but then she just forgets it completely and thats happened a few times. Now the other day she's seen her friend and she starts saying how she was in a depression and kept crying in the restaurant, and that she couldn't believe how someone could get to that ''stage'' where they can't control themselves crying in public, even though that has been ME a thousand times. I dont know I just wanted to vent about this somewhere. The situation is just really getting me and I needed to talk about everything since I just get ignored irl
sorry to here that bud, I guess parents have a hard time understanding especially when they have a lot of priories and sometimes I think its due to parents not wanting there children to seem sad as it effects them too and try to ignore it. If u need help and are not receiving it from the closet ones too you, see a doctor they are able to refer you to the places you can get help
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Might be worth speaking to your GP.
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm sorry to hear that. How old are you?
How long have you been like that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads