MDASAD57
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What is a scope for mathematics Nowadays???
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Either this I don't understand this question or it doesn't make sense...what are you asking?
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Either this I don't understand this question or it doesn't make sense...what are you asking?
Scope for mathematics students?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MDASAD57)
Scope for mathematics students?
What does that mean? Are you asking what mathematics students study? At what level? School, undergraduate, postgraduate?
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you asking what job opportunities there are?
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
What does that mean? Are you asking what mathematics students study? At what level? School, undergraduate, postgraduate?
For graduate students
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
For graduate students

(Original post by Rufus the red)
Are you asking what job opportunities there are?
Yes dear
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes dear
There is of course the academic/teaching route but there would also be paths into accountancy, engineering and being an actuary but if it's a good degree a lot of companies would hire you in fields that aren't enormously related.
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rufus the red)
There is of course the academic/teaching route but there would also be paths into accountancy, engineering and being an actuary but if it's a good degree a lot of companies would hire you in fields that aren't enormously related.
Bundle of Thanks dear
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
Bundle of thanks dear
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For graduate students

Yes dear
I see, in terms of careers for maths PhDs, aside from the roles noted above depending on the nature of your PhD project (e.g. how much programming/computational work was involved), there may also be roles in data science, quantitative finance, or software development/engineering. There will also be lots of less directly relevant roles in e.g. the civil service etc, and having a PhD might allow you to apply for certain higher entry positions depending on your experiences within your PhD (e.g. whether it involved any management of other people in the process).
MDASAD57
Rep:
?
I see, in terms of careers for maths PhDs, aside from the roles noted above depending on the nature of your PhD project (e.g. how much programming/computational work was involved), there may also be roles in data science, quantitative finance, or software development/engineering. There will also be lots of less directly relevant roles in e.g. the civil service etc, and having a PhD might allow you to apply for certain higher entry positions depending on your experiences within your PhD (e.g. whether it involved any management of other people in the process).
Thanks dear
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.55%
I'm not sure (5)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (66)
35.11%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (81)
43.09%

Watched Threads