kavita2002
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
so i am applying for dentistry and i need to send off my application in a months time. I love my old personal statement and i have no space to write anything about the gap year. Also due to covid I have not done anything worth writing about. How much should i write about gap year and what should i write? I have to send it off in about 20 days so there isnt much that can be written either. please helpp meeee. I am so confused.
Super_M8rio
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kavita2002)
Hi,
so i am applying for dentistry and i need to send off my application in a months time. I love my old personal statement and i have no space to write anything about the gap year. Also due to covid I have not done anything worth writing about. How much should i write about gap year and what should i write? I have to send it off in about 20 days so there isnt much that can be written either. please helpp meeee. I am so confused.
Hi r u sitting the autumn exams. I’m in the same position but for economics. Surely we can just use the exact same ps cos I have no idea what I’m going to be doing in my gap year.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are you planning on doing? You don't need to write much, but it's a good idea to write something
kavita2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Super_M8rio)
Hi r u sitting the autumn exams. I’m in the same position but for economics. Surely we can just use the exact same ps cos I have no idea what I’m going to be doing in my gap year.
Hi,
I am sitting biology exam next year. But the ucas deadline is 15 october. Due to COVID 19, no one is also willing to give me work experience relating to dentistry. I am still looking for some but i m running out of time. Yes we can use our old ps but unis would want to know what we are doing during gap year so our chances of getting an offer/ interview increases. Are you also applying to medicine/ dentistry/ veterinary sciences ?
kavita2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
What are you planning on doing? You don't need to write much, but it's a good idea to write something
I want to volunteer at a care home or some place relating to dentistry but due to covid 19, they are not taking volunteers. I have also used all the characters for my ps and i dont want to cut anything especially because my gap year work wont be as good as the work i have already mentioned in my ps. If i do end up finding some good work then can they mention it in my reference instead of my ps?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to volunteer at a care home or some place relating to dentistry but due to covid 19, they are not taking volunteers. I have also used all the characters for my ps and i dont want to cut anything especially because my gap year work wont be as good as the work i have already mentioned in my ps. If i do end up finding some good work then can they mention it in my reference instead of my ps?
You could say that you hope to do additional placements in your gap year. There's probably something you can remove/condense
Super_M8rio
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I am sitting biology exam next year. But the ucas deadline is 15 october. Due to COVID 19, no one is also willing to give me work experience relating to dentistry. I am still looking for some but i m running out of time. Yes we can use our old ps but unis would want to know what we are doing during gap year so our chances of getting an offer/ interview increases. Are you also applying to medicine/ dentistry/ veterinary sciences ?
Ahh i see. Nah I’m applying for economics. I’m sitting maths in 3 weeks or so and then geo next summer. Do we write what we’re gonna do in our gap year eg part time job etc in our ps. That would take up sm space ffs.
kavita2002
Rep:
?
Ahh i see. Nah I’m applying for economics. I’m sitting maths in 3 weeks or so and then geo next summer. Do we write what we’re gonna do in our gap year eg part time job etc in our ps. That would take up sm space ffs.
Yes it would take a lot of space and the things i would do in gap year arent even going to be as impressive as the ones i have already written down. Thats y i dont want to cut anything
kavita2002
Rep:
?
Hi. I am currently on gap year and i will be applying to dentistry. I still havent found anywhere to volunteer relating to dentistry because of COVID 19. If I do end up finding anything then can this be added to my reference instead of my personal statement. My personal statement has used up all the characters and so I have no space to add additional things. Plus the things i have already mentioned are way more impressive so i dont want to change my personal statement. So whatever i do in gap year can it be added to my reference instead or would i need to add to my personal statement ?
Chloeharperxp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi. I am currently on gap year and i will be applying to dentistry. I still havent found anywhere to volunteer relating to dentistry because of COVID 19. If I do end up finding anything then can this be added to my reference instead of my personal statement. My personal statement has used up all the characters and so I have no space to add additional things. Plus the things i have already mentioned are way more impressive so i dont want to change my personal statement. So whatever i do in gap year can it be added to my reference instead or would i need to add to my personal statement ?
I had a similar experience I can’t get school experience due to Covid and after contacting my university careers advisor she said definitely to put that you have actively been looking for experience in .... but due to Covid you can’t find any but you make up for this through ... then explain what else you’ve done
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've merged both your threads as they are talking about basically the same thing.

Yes it would take a lot of space and the things i would do in gap year arent even going to be as impressive as the ones i have already written down. Thats y i dont want to cut anything
It wouldn't take up much space at all, as I said in my earlier post
hello9612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
is it best to say immediately what your doing in your gap year personal statement as it seems odd if i just put it at the start it fits better in the middle
hello9612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
also doing a gap year for econ
kavita2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloeharperxp)
I had a similar experience I can’t get school experience due to Covid and after contacting my university careers advisor she said definitely to put that you have actively been looking for experience in .... but due to Covid you can’t find any but you make up for this through ... then explain what else you’ve done
But will you say that you are looking for work experience in your ps or in your reference ? because maybe my referee can say that this student (me) is actively looking for work experience but due to covid its difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.54%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.92%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.85%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.69%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.85%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.23%

Watched Threads