Access course or continue BTEC course

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last academic year I was doing a btec course my final grade for year 12 was Pass. I was unable to sit the exams and coursework was also scrapped and we were given predicted grades. We did complete some assignments before the lockdown.

So my tutor called and told me about my grades and told me I should look into an access course but I could continue on to second year if I want but of course the unis will look into my grades for first year

I really don’t know what I should do, please can someone give me some advice.

College starts next week and my tutor wants me to let him know tomorrow
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Last academic year I was doing a btec course my final grade for year 12 was Pass. I was unable to sit the exams and coursework was also scrapped and we were given predicted grades. We did complete some assignments before the lockdown.

So my tutor called and told me about my grades and told me I should look into an access course but I could continue on to second year if I want but of course the unis will look into my grades for first year

1. You clearly didnt do well on your BTEC course. Do you understand why you did so poorly and could you improve? Pass grades are somewhere between D and E grade, so its not much use.
2. I believe your tutor was right to draw this to your attention as it will be very hard to raise that grade unless you know how to hit merits and distinctions.
3. I would do the access course if I knew I could improve as the pass grade will just pull you down. The question is do you know how to improve because pass marks arent good enough.
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'd be tempted to continue on the basis that there is no grade polishing permitted on an Access course.
Infused_Learning
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi, how much longer would you need to study the BTEC for? Access to HE Diploma's can be studied flexibly and completed in as little as 6 months if required (students on average take 11 or 12 months to complete) and you can calculate UCAS points as you go along. On an Access Diploma achieving all distinctions will give you the maximum 144 UCAS points. Always make sure if you do decide to study an Access Diploma that the provider you choose is listed here. https://www.qaa.ac.uk//en/access-to-...-course-search Hope this helps and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed