personal statement for natsci and biological sciences help

Watch
JessTheDino
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello!
I feel that my personal statement is very biology heavy so would this put me at an disadvantage for applying for natsci?
I do biology, chemistry, maths and geography and have A* A A A* in them respectively.
I'm looking to apply for bio natsci at cambridge, natsci with placement year at lancaster, biological sciences at imperial, biological sciences at ucl and biology with placement year at bath for 2021 entry.
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
please help me!
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
can someone help me please?
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
can anyone help?
aadil10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JessTheDino)
can someone help me please?
The only question you need to ask yourself is, from each individual university does your personal statement demonstrate that you're interested in studying their degree? You have to decide for yourself the balance between tailoring it to fit one degree exactly or making it more generic but having it suit all of the courses you chose.
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
(Original post by aadil10)
The only question you need to ask yourself is, from each individual university does your personal statement demonstrate that you're interested in studying their degree? You have to decide for yourself the balance between tailoring it to fit one degree exactly or making it more generic but having it suit all of the courses you chose.
i understand that but with lancaster they say that they understand if your personal statement is tailored towards one subject but should I really trust that will look at me in the same way as another applicant? thank you for replying
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the specific natural sciences course. I have a place at Cambridge for Natsci even though my PS was written for biology exclusively. If the course you're applying for requires that you do other sciences, it will likely be a disadvantage. Otherwise, it shouldn't be.
aadil10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i understand that but with lancaster they say that they understand if your personal statement is tailored towards one subject but should I really trust that will look at me in the same way as another applicant? thank you for replying
I'm sure they won't put it against you for tailoring it towards only one part, as long as you show how passionate you are about that aspect of it. Remember they just want to be sure that you're going to thrive studying their degree and achieve highly. As long as you can demonstrate that then it doesn't really matter what proportion is dedicated to a certain subject.
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
It depends on the specific natural sciences course. I have a place at Cambridge for Natsci even though my PS was written for biology exclusively. If the course you're applying for requires that you do other sciences, it will likely be a disadvantage. Otherwise, it shouldn't be.
oh ok so it shoudln't be a problem for cambridge then... thanks!
Medi-cry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you always have the saq for cambridge as well
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
I'm sure they won't put it against you for tailoring it towards only one part, as long as you show how passionate you are about that aspect of it. Remember they just want to be sure that you're going to thrive studying their degree and achieve highly. As long as you can demonstrate that then it doesn't really matter what proportion is dedicated to a certain subject.
ok but do you think it is worth maybe mentioning a line or two about other subjects or should i leave it as is?
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medi-cry)
you always have the saq for cambridge as well
oh you're right... completely forgot about that! what sort of things should i include in that? is it just things like talks i've been to in chemistry for example or a mini personal statement?
aadil10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ok but do you think it is worth maybe mentioning a line or two about other subjects or should i leave it as is?
If they're a significant part of those degrees then it may be worth mentioning it, I'm not studying any of those myself so I couldn't tell you how important each subject is. Again, ultimately it's them being interested in you being interested in them, simple as that.
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
If they're a significant part of those degrees then it may be worth mentioning it, I'm not studying any of those myself so I couldn't tell you how important each subject is. Again, ultimately it's them being interested in you being interested in them, simple as that.
ok thank you its just i'm very tight on lines at the moment and i have to give it in on monday.... (i.e i'm screwed)
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh you're right... completely forgot about that! what sort of things should i include in that? is it just things like talks i've been to in chemistry for example or a mini personal statement?
There is no requirement to fill in the additional personal statement for the SAQ.
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
There is no requirement to fill in the additional personal statement for the SAQ.
did you write anything?
aadil10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ok thank you its just i'm very tight on lines at the moment and i have to give it in on monday.... (i.e i'm screwed)
Don't worry, that's plenty of time to perfect it. Try not to overthink it too much, just sell yourself, demonstrate your passion without waffling, and make sure you show other people so that they can proof read it for you. You'll smash it!
JessTheDino
Rep:
?
Don't worry, that's plenty of time to perfect it. Try not to overthink it too much, just sell yourself, demonstrate your passion without waffling, and make sure you show other people so that they can proof read it for you. You'll smash it!
thank you very much!
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did you write anything?
Nope, with the NSAA and interviews I figured the actual impact of the additional PS was basically nothing.
simonmorrish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In Cambridge, my peers who did NatSci (I'm an engineer) were inevitably Chem-leaning or Bio-leaning even in PtI. I don't think it's a problem that your statement is Bio heavy.

Maybe ask yourself why you want to do the NatSci course. Can you make it into a strength that as well your focus on Bio, you want to maintain a broad scientific base? Maybe you can demonstrate this through wider reading and reflection? Eg. are you interested in biotech cross-overs? But don't make it up - be true to your motivations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.37%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.06%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (374)
49.02%

Watched Threads