Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
chicken soup, look it up
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Idk about healthy but look on YouTube for
'life of boris'
Depending on what meal it is, for breakfast I just have egg sunny side up on buttered toast, add in some mushrooms on the side and it tastes better imo
Lunch I just make a sandwich, get some bread, butter cucumber, tomato etc and some beef/chicken slices and combine them for easy bagel/baguette etc
For dinner, an easy one to make is chicken fajitas imo,really love those bell peppers
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can make pizza, noodles, pasta, rice really easily in uni. It doesnt have to be showstoppingly amazing, just enough to feed you. Dont go out searching for special ingredients like chorizo or whatever the frick you put on your food. Just keep within budget
Joy L
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
ok thx guys
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joy L)
Comment your go to recipes and any helpful tips and tricks
Hi Joy L,

In my experience as a student, one of the most useful things to do was cook in bulk- not only did it save money but it also saved me a lot of time! I would bulk cook several meals on a Sunday, freeze some of the portions then eat others throughout the week (varying my meals). Some cheap, quick and tasty ones I enjoyed were:

-Chilli
-Curry
-Fajitas
-Tuna pasta bake
-Stir fry
-Vegetable Tagine

I hope this helps!

Millie
Student Rep
Joy L
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi Joy L,

In my experience as a student, one of the most useful things to do was cook in bulk- not only did it save money but it also saved me a lot of time! I would bulk cook several meals on a Sunday, freeze some of the portions then eat others throughout the week (varying my meals). Some cheap, quick and tasty ones I enjoyed were:

-Chilli
-Curry
-Fajitas
-Tuna pasta bake
-Stir fry
-Vegetable Tagine

I hope this helps!

Millie
Student Rep
thx so much xx tht's a great idea!
TalkTalkTalk...
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I honestly don't think a lot of uni students know how to cook.
Joy L
Rep:
?
(Original post by TalkTalkTalk...)
Tbh I honestly don't think a lot of uni students know how to cook.
true!

my go to meal is a mediterranean potato bake. I chop up some potatoes, aubergines, courgettes, red and yellow peppers, broccoli, garlic and put it into a big baking tray that i have greased with olive oil and cook it, easy and nutricious as you are getting carbs from the potato and 5 veggies!
TalkTalkTalk...
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im not in uni and live with my parents sso if they are out i wouldn't exactly cook

so does cereal count
Joy L
Rep:
?
(Original post by TalkTalkTalk...)
Im not in uni and live with my parents sso if they are out i wouldn't exactly cook

so does cereal count
ngl if i get lazy i literally have a bowl of cereal for dinner! :grin:
TalkTalkTalk...
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joy L)
ngl if i get lazy i literally have a bowl of cereal for dinner! :grin:
oo and dont forget cereal bars
when ur to lazy 2 warm milkup
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Risottos are great because you can do the whole thing in a single pan; less washing up to do. Very customisable as well.
A thick-bottomed metal saucepan is pretty good for it; a frying pan would probably be too shallow.

Disclaimer: I say this is a risotto but I'm probably going to piss off the Italians with my naming/methods. But the most important thing is that it tastes nice if you do it right.

Start by sweating some chopped onion, maybe add in some peppers (not too finely chopped), definitely add in some garlic. Then make a lil hole, turn up the heat and throw in whatever you're using for protein - chopped chorizo works really well. Or you could just get a packet of pre-cooked chicken like you'd put in a sandwich and just brown it in the pan, that works too.
I don't think it matters if you fry the meat before or after the onions. Don't worry if you don't cook the meat all the way through at this stage - it will be cooked by the end.
Optionally, deglaze the pan by pouring in wine or whatever alcohol's handy. This has the added bonus that you can drink all the alcohol that you don't use, so by the time you eat you're properly ******ed and it tastes delicious regardless.

Then you put in the rice; a third to half of a mug of rice should do it. Rice goes straight into the pan dry, stir it around then after a minute add some stock or just boiling water. Two parts liquid to one part rice in volume. Add it in gradually - put a little bit in, wait until that's all soaked up - when you drag the spatula/spoon through, you should be able to see the bottom of the pan. Repeat until you've added all the liquid. Or pour it all in at once, who cares. Should take 15 mins for the rice to cook.

After that you can just finish it off with other things, like fresh chopped tomatoes or spinach (spinach will turn the rice green, though).
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also fried rice. Very quick, can taste ****ing amazing. Use leftover rice that's been in the fridge. No it's not unsafe, you're cooking it after all.
Just use this recipe:

Spoiler:
Show

(ignore the blue apron sponsorship :nothing: skip to 1:16 if you've already got some rice)

Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My favourites are:
- chilli (can use microwave rice too if wanting it to be quick)
- pasta based dishes - spaghetti bolognese is my favourite
- jacket potatoes (can do in microwave so it’s quicker). With these you can top with anything like beans and cheese etc.
- fajitas

With these dishes.., you can buy in bulk and mix them up. For example, you can buy a big pack of mince and use for your spaghetti bolognese and chilli. With the bolognese and chilli... you can make in bulk and put on top of the jacket potatoes. Use the chilli to put in tortilla wraps from fajitas and make burritos. I find that’s the best and also most affordable way as you can bulk buy and pre make dishes!
Joy L
Rep:
?
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
My favourites are:
- chilli (can use microwave rice too if wanting it to be quick)
- pasta based dishes - spaghetti bolognese is my favourite
- jacket potatoes (can do in microwave so it’s quicker). With these you can top with anything like beans and cheese etc.
- fajitas

With these dishes.., you can buy in bulk and mix them up. For example, you can buy a big pack of mince and use for your spaghetti bolognese and chilli. With the bolognese and chilli... you can make in bulk and put on top of the jacket potatoes. Use the chilli to put in tortilla wraps from fajitas and make burritos. I find that’s the best and also most affordable way as you can bulk buy and pre make dishes!
wow, great idea, thx u
The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joy L)
wow, great idea, thx u
You’re welcome! :-)
snazzy viking
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
scrambled eggs on toast fit the bill
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Risottos are great because you can do the whole thing in a single pan; less washing up to do. Very customisable as well.
A thick-bottomed metal saucepan is pretty good for it; a frying pan would probably be too shallow.

Disclaimer: I say this is a risotto but I'm probably going to piss off the Italians with my naming/methods. But the most important thing is that it tastes nice if you do it right.

Start by sweating some chopped onion, maybe add in some peppers (not too finely chopped), definitely add in some garlic. Then make a lil hole, turn up the heat and throw in whatever you're using for protein - chopped chorizo works really well. Or you could just get a packet of pre-cooked chicken like you'd put in a sandwich and just brown it in the pan, that works too.
I don't think it matters if you fry the meat before or after the onions. Don't worry if you don't cook the meat all the way through at this stage - it will be cooked by the end.
Optionally, deglaze the pan by pouring in wine or whatever alcohol's handy. This has the added bonus that you can drink all the alcohol that you don't use, so by the time you eat you're properly ******ed and it tastes delicious regardless.

Then you put in the rice; a third to half of a mug of rice should do it. Rice goes straight into the pan dry, stir it around then after a minute add some stock or just boiling water. Two parts liquid to one part rice in volume. Add it in gradually - put a little bit in, wait until that's all soaked up - when you drag the spatula/spoon through, you should be able to see the bottom of the pan. Repeat until you've added all the liquid. Or pour it all in at once, who cares. Should take 15 mins for the rice to cook.

After that you can just finish it off with other things, like fresh chopped tomatoes or spinach (spinach will turn the rice green, though).
chef sinnoh :adore:
HighKeyNerd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
– if you snack a lot then move all the unhealthy stuff to a super inconvenient place and put fruit and vegetables in an easy place, I don't have snacks at my house and will just find myself eating cucumbers and apples and stuff
– learn how to roast vegetables, it'll take a while in the oven, but you can do that early in the day and put it with most food, you can bulk it early in the day and reheat it later
– toast with olive oil, grated tomatoes and salt are heavenly, do yourself a favour and try it, its pretty quick and easy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.49%
I'm not sure (56)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (356)
29.3%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.88%
I'm not a current university student (592)
48.72%

Watched Threads