confuzzledteen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm struggling to pick a 5th university to apply to for Economics Bsc.
Out of Manchester, Bath & Leeds - which would you recommend?
I'm hoping to progress into a career in Investment Banking, hence have tried to pick target unis. Of these 3, which would you say is the best for economics? Manchester ranks significantly higher than Bath on the QS World Rankings, which I found odd given Bath's reputation of being prestigious..
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
I'm struggling to pick a 5th university to apply to for Economics Bsc.
Out of Manchester, Bath & Leeds - which would you recommend?
I'm hoping to progress into a career in Investment Banking, hence have tried to pick target unis. Of these 3, which would you say is the best for economics? Manchester ranks significantly higher than Bath on the QS World Rankings, which I found odd given Bath's reputation of being prestigious..
As far as I know, all three would open doors and be good Universities to study economics at. I attended an insight programme at Morgan Stanley and spoke to someone from Leeds who had secured a placement there; she said it’s not so much about the University you go to per se (as long as you go to a relatively good Uni, which all three you’ve mentioned are), but it’s more about tailoring your cover letters and CV to the company you apply to, and having the right skills and mindset to fit in with the company ethos and working environment. I’ve also heard from many people that Bath had a great placement year opportunity (I applied to Bath as one of my options), which is helpful for investment banking, and Bath as a place is lovely. I don’t know as much about Manchester but it is a good solid red brick University, so I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get into IB if you went there, worked really hard and have a strong networking ability as well as getting work experience.

Ultimately the three of those places have quite different vibes, and the course structures differ a fair bit as different variants are offered (for example Leeds offer courses like Economics and Management which are a little less mathematical, whilst Bath’s straight Economics course is pretty mathematical). Try and use University websites and prospectus, speak to current students (e.g. through UniBuddy), maybe even visit the places if you can (although you may not be allowed on campus or into University buildings). I would personally pick whichever of the three places and Universities you prefer as a whole, where you feel you would be most happy at. Getting into IB from one of those three Universities would be less dependent on which of those three Universities you went to, but more about how hard you worked, how much you networked, how many opportunities you seized, how many placements and work experience programmes you managed to get into etc.

Best of luck!
Last edited by Mona123456; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.65%
I'm not sure (14)
3.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (132)
33.93%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.54%
I'm not a current university student (180)
46.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise