curiousperson123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What economics topic should I talk about in my personal statement that will impress the admissions tutors?
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by curiousperson123)
What economics topic should I talk about in my personal statement that will impress the admissions tutors?
You should talk about whichever economics topics you’re genuinely interested in, that link to supercurriculars you’ve done (e.g. any books you’ve read or lectures you’ve watched). It also may be worth searching up your top choice Universities and looking into their course structures, and if a particular module sounds interesting, maybe try getting hold of a book or watching a TED talk on that area of economics. Admissions Tutors wouldn’t look and e.g. prefer someone who talked about game theory over someone who talked about inequality; what they want to know is what you are genuinely fascinated by, and what you’ve done that makes you ready for University study. It’s about how you explain, develop and make links between supercurriculars you’ve done that will impress Admissions Tutors; it’s not about name dropping certain areas of economics because you think some may seem more impressive.

Hope this helps and best of luck
curiousperson123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
You should talk about whichever economics topics you’re genuinely interested in, that link to supercurriculars you’ve done (e.g. any books you’ve read or lectures you’ve watched). It also may be worth searching up your top choice Universities and looking into their course structures, and if a particular module sounds interesting, maybe try getting hold of a book or watching a TED talk on that area of economics. Admissions Tutors wouldn’t look and e.g. prefer someone who talked about game theory over someone who talked about inequality; what they want to know is what you are genuinely fascinated by, and what you’ve done that makes you ready for University study. It’s about how you explain, develop and make links between supercurriculars you’ve done that will impress Admissions Tutors; it’s not about name dropping certain areas of economics because you think some may seem more impressive.

Hope this helps and best of luck
Ah thank you
can I ask what uni you go/went to?

Also, which is the best economics topic to talk about in a personal statements in your opinion?
Last edited by curiousperson123; 1 month ago
tommy988
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ah thank you

Also, which is the best economics topic to talk about in a personal statements in your opinion?
there is no best topic, you need to talk about one YOU are interested in and why it interests you. Doesn't really matter what but have a look at the universities website as they usually show a list of modules and try and talk about a topic they would eventually teach.
The admissions tutors will be able to tell if you pick something too complicated/ use google so only talk about something you understand and don't try and sound too clever
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ah thank you

You’re welcome I’m an incoming Economics & Management student at Oxford.

Regarding your second question, I honestly don’t think there are any best economics topics to talk about. It depends on the courses you apply to - check those course structures and maybe pick topics that relate to modules they offer. Usually a good (and popular) topic to talk about is game theory, but it’s also a topic that comes up a lot at interviews, so if you applied to a Uni that interviewed and you mentioned game theory on your PS then you’d need to be prepared to answer questions on it in an interview. This goes for everything you mention on your PS - if you specify that you’ve read a particular theory or done a course on an area of economics, then get asked on it and can’t answer, that’s really not ideal. So, make sure that especially if you apply to Oxford or Cambridge, you only mention topics you’re genuinely interested in, have read around and would feel comfortable answering questions on. Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (59)
15.01%
I'm not sure (14)
3.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (133)
33.84%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.53%
I'm not a current university student (181)
46.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise