Chloeh9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
i'm going to be applying to uni in october and i'm stuck on whether to choose mental health nursing, child or adult nursing. I've done a little bit of research into the courses and understand both can take me to very diverse places. I was wondering if someone can help me make my choice, There are some courses for 4 years to do both but i don't know if i'm going to be wasting my time or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help !
Last edited by Chloeh9; 4 weeks ago
amcb1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really depends on what you would feel to be the most interesting and what you would feel most comfortable with.

I've worked in both acute physical settings and inpatient mental facilities (not as a nurse), and for me personally i found mental health to be a difficult area to work in. Interesting, but difficult. Mainly due to the nature of it, you work with very unwell people with complex mental disorders. You need to have a thick skin. If you don't have a thick skin and can't tolerate people shouting at you, it may not be for you.

Adult and childrens nursing may not be as mentally draining. Are you good with children? Can you communicate well with children of all ages? If you can do this, peaditric nursing is definitely an option.

It is ultimately which one do you have an interest in more and which do you think you'd be most comfortable in? Maybe write down pros and cons for each. Visualise yourself on the ward in each setting (adult, children, mental), what challenges do you anticipate? What do you think the day to day will look like? What do you think will be the most rewarding part?
Last edited by amcb1; 4 weeks ago
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chloeh9)
Hi,
i'm going to be applying to uni in october and i'm stuck on whether to choose mental health nursing, child or adult nursing. I've done a little bit of research into the courses and understand both can take me to very diverse places. I was wondering if someone can help me make my choice, There are some courses for 4 years to do both but i don't know if i'm going to be wasting my time or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help !
Hi

What do you really want to do as its either adult nursing or mental health nursing , chose which you prefer as it is only you who can decide what route to go ok.
I would say adult nursing but you may want to do mental health nursing so really I would suggest to you to think which one you wish to do and go and do it.

You won't be wasting your time ok, only thing is you may regret not doing it .
So go and apply for adult nursing and put down another option as a back up if you didn't get offered one or the other ok.
Chloeh9
Rep:
?
Okay, I’ll think more about it, Thankyou
Chloeh9
Rep:
?
(Original post by amcb1)
It really depends on what you would feel to be the most interesting and what you would feel most comfortable with.

I've worked in both acute physical settings and inpatient mental facilities (not as a nurse), and for me personally i found mental health to be a difficult area to work in. Interesting, but difficult. Mainly due to the nature of it, you work with very unwell people with complex mental disorders. You need to have a thick skin. If you don't have a thick skin and can't tolerate people shouting at you, it may not be for you.

Adult and childrens nursing may not be as mentally draining. Are you good with children? Can you communicate well with children of all ages? If you can do this, peaditric nursing is definitely an option.

It is ultimately which one do you have an interest in more and which do you think you'd be most comfortable in? Maybe write down pros and cons for each. Visualise yourself on the ward in each setting (adult, children, mental), what challenges do you anticipate? What do you think the day to day will look like? What do you think will be the most rewarding part?
Thank you, this helped check mental health off the list, I don’t think I’ll be able to deal with all the shouting and stress of it.
I’m shy but good at communicating and I’m not sure if children would be the better option. Are adults difficult to deal with ?
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, I’ll think more about it, Thankyou
Drop me a PM message you want ok

Adult nursing is fine to do .
amcb1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, this helped check mental health off the list, I don’t think I’ll be able to deal with all the shouting and stress of it.
I’m shy but good at communicating and I’m not sure if children would be the better option. Are adults difficult to deal with ?
I personally find adults the easiest to work with. I don't communicate well with children whereas with adults, they generally understand you and 99% of the time they are willing to cooperate. You will get difficult people, as with any job, but you're just there to help them. They will be thankful of your help in the end.

When working with children, you are also having to speak to the families so bear that in mind.
Chloeh9
Rep:
?
(Original post by amcb1)
I personally find adults the easiest to work with. I don't communicate well with children whereas with adults, they generally understand you and 99% of the time they are willing to cooperate. You will get difficult people, as with any job, but you're just there to help them. They will be thankful of your help in the end.

When working with children, you are also having to speak to the families so bear that in mind.
Thank you, I think I’ll go down the route of adult nursing this was so helpful! Thank you so so so much
amcb1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, I think I’ll go down the route of adult nursing this was so helpful! Thank you so so so much
No problem at all. If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a message!
Chloeh9
Rep:
?
(Original post by amcb1)
No problem at all. If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a message!
i will, thank you
tfpm80
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You may have to brush up on the 'not being able to deal with all the shouting'. Adult nursing will give it's fair share of stressful situations, akin to people with mental health issues losing control.
Chloeh9
Rep:
?
(Original post by tfpm80)
You may have to brush up on the 'not being able to deal with all the shouting'. Adult nursing will give it's fair share of stressful situations, akin to people with mental health issues losing control.
I’m aware but I think due to dealthing with mental health issues at home with family that maybe I wouldn’t be able to deal with more at work or uni if you get what I mean
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.08%
I'm not sure (14)
3.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.59%
I'm not a current university student (172)
45.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed