sujana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
has anyone ever managed to transfer to UCL from birkbeck (or any other uni tbh) successfully and how similar was your course modules? does it have to be the exact same? how did you manage in terms of student funding? did you have to reapply and stuff?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What course do you want to transfer onto?

All transfer applications, like any other application, has to go through UCAS.
Generally for transfer into 2nd year of a degree (at any university) you'll need:
- to meet the standard 1st year entry requirements
- for your first year modules to be a very close or perfect match
- good first year results

Transferring into 1st year will usually give more options (good 1st year marks can replace lower pre-university grades and there's no need for a perfect match on content).
sujana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
@PQ

It's a bit complicated. So, I am currently in Birkbeck which was my insurance choice but because of Covid 19 I missed out on some of my grades so I couldn't get to my first choice which was my queen mary.
I am resitting my alevel this October and hopefully I will get better grades. In that case, I plan to change uni. but the problem is I dont want to take a gap year and most unis wont take JANUARY students. So I thought tranfer students exist. I am doing Planetary Sciences with Astronomy at bbk and plan to tranfer to Geophysics or maybe EARTH Sciences in UCL. but apparently they only take transfers in second year. so idk how it works. I know I have to make an application but I want to know if it's worth it. I like Birkbeck but Queen Mary and UCL were definitely a better choice
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sujana)
@PQ

It's a bit complicated. So, I am currently in Birkbeck which was my insurance choice but because of Covid 19 I missed out on some of my grades so I couldn't get to my first choice which was my queen mary.
I am resitting my alevel this October and hopefully I will get better grades. In that case, I plan to change uni. but the problem is I dont want to take a gap year and most unis wont take JANUARY students. So I thought tranfer students exist. I am doing Planetary Sciences with Astronomy at bbk and plan to tranfer to Geophysics or maybe EARTH Sciences in UCL. but apparently they only take transfers in second year. so idk how it works. I know I have to make an application but I want to know if it's worth it. I like Birkbeck but Queen Mary and UCL were definitely a better choice
You would probably need to apply for first year entry to UCL again anyway, so it might be better to just take the gap year. If you do want to explore the transfer angle you should contact UCL now to discuss whether they would accept the course from Birkbeck you are proposing to take for entry into the degree programme you are interested in at UCL.

It's worth noting that if you do pursue the transfer angle, depending on the mode of study (full time vs part time) and whether you earn any qualifications (e.g. CertHE/DipHE) from Birkbeck, you may or may not have reduced entitlement from SFE for funding a subsequent course (at UCL or elsewhere). Most likely you will use up your "gift" year in the process - another reason that taking a gap year is probably a better idea.
gabby:)
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I was in the exact position as you, I missed the grades to study Earth Sciences at UCL so I applied for Birkbeck through clearing, in hopes of transferring for second year if I manage to get the grades. I spoke to the head of the Earth Sciences dept. at UCL and she said really the best option would be to just apply again in 2021, so I’m currently resitting my A-levels. The transfers are completely dependant on the dept. and if the course you want to transfer into is full they won’t accept you. However I suggest getting into contact with the department to see what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.96%
I'm not sure (31)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (212)
32.17%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (310)
47.04%

Watched Threads