Why does the trachea prevent the airways collapsing during inspiration ?

Watch
seals2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Surely the cartilage stops the trachea flattening in expiration , NOT inspiration , as this is when all of the air is removed from the airways ? Like, if I force air out of a bag it flattens, it doesn't flatten if I force air into the bag though..
Last edited by seals2001; 4 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because there's cartilage preventing it from collapsing? Am I missing something here?

seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Because there's cartilage preventing it from collapsing? Am I missing something here?

* I meant why does the trachea stop it collapsing . My apologies.
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
does it? It's incomplete I know that to allow movement of the food in the Oesophagus because that's behind it, it keeps the airways open, and prevents constriction of the airway tubes, i think it all links with maintaining a gradient via ventilation to allow gas exchange to happen :/ sorry I'm not that great at bio
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
* I meant why does the trachea stop it collapsing . My apologies.
Your lungs work differently to you putting a hand on a bag.

Inspiration is due to your diaphragm pulling down, decreasing the intrathoracic cavity pressure. It makes it negative to the surrounding and therefore air rushes in your lungs (passively).

Expiration is due to your diaphragm rising up, it increases the pressure and air moves out.

I don't really know if this answers your question, because I don't really understand your question in the first place!: :lol:
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The negative pressure generated on inspiration could collapse the trachea if you didn’t have the cartilaginous rings, it’d be a floppy tube so would close up like sucking on an old plastic maccies straw in a milkshake, which would cause issues getting gases into the lungs. Those rings help keep its shape allowing gases to flow freely.
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Your lungs work differently to you putting a hand on a bag.

Inspiration is due to your diaphragm pulling down, decreasing the intrathoracic cavity pressure. It makes it negative to the surrounding and therefore air rushes in your lungs (passively).

Expiration is due to your diaphragm rising up, it increases the pressure and air moves out.

I don't really know if this answers your question, because I don't really understand your question in the first place!: :lol:
In expiration, air moves out of the lungs. Less air in the trachea means that there are no particles colliding with the trachea's inside walls, yet still there are air particles colliding with the outside walls, thus, if no cartilage is present, the trachea collapses inwards. This would occur during expiration yet the mark scheme I have read says the trachea's cartilage prevents it collapsing during inspiration. How ?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
In expiration, air moves out of the lungs. Less air in the trachea means that there are no particles colliding with the trachea's inside walls, yet still there are air particles colliding with the outside walls, thus, if no cartilage is present, the trachea collapses inwards. This would occur during expiration yet the mark scheme I have read says the trachea's cartilage prevents it collapsing during inspiration. How ?
Moonkatt explained it better than I did - your intrathoracic pressure turns negative (relative to the outside world) during inspiration.

It's just how your body is designed to get air in.

If there were no cartilage, the trachea would just collapse during this.

So imagine you have a hoover (vacuum cleaner), and the hose instead of being a rigid plastic, is made of soft plastic. When you turn it on, what will happen?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads