Wanting to be a writer and becoming a lawyer

Watch
Nikitka
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I find law moderately interesting and don’t have an actual passion for it. I’d love to become a writer one day and generally love writing. Nevertheless, I plan to study to law, as it gives a better chance of finding a job, law career is certainly more stable than writing and the salary will be enough to sustain decent living.

As for now I feel like I could make it and become a pretty decent barrister. At the same time I’m afraid of making a mistake. This might be a stupid question, but do you think law is a good career filed for someone who’d rather be a writer? I know that there are different kinds of lawyers and writers and the question is pretty stupid, but still what do you think?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nikitka)
I find law moderately interesting and don’t have an actual passion for it. I’d love to become a writer one day and generally love writing. Nevertheless, I plan to study to law, as it gives a better chance of finding a job, law career is certainly more stable than writing and the salary will be enough to sustain decent living.

As for now I feel like I could make it and become a pretty decent barrister. At the same time I’m afraid of making a mistake. This might be a stupid question, but do you think law is a good career filed for someone who’d rather be a writer? I know that there are different kinds of lawyers and writers and the question is pretty stupid, but still what do you think?
I think if writing is your passion then a degree in English Literature would be more suitable - you could still convert to Law at a later stage
ACE_DK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The route to becoming a solicitor or a barrister can be quite long and certainly challenging. If your heart's not in it, it could be that much more challenging. So, as mentioned I would probably look into English literature course, and reassess afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.53%
I'm not sure (11)
3%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (127)
34.6%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (166)
45.23%

Watched Threads