TEMP-bOY
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I am starting medicine at SGUL for 2020 entry. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to transfer to Leeds due to extenuating circumstances. My mum is on shielding due to corona as she is a variety of health problems including diabetes, a past stroke and an auto immune disease. She works from home and often needs help around the house and getting groceries. She also looks after my younger brother and sister. I have heard Leeds accept students into second year and transferring medical schools in general is not unheard of (whilst it may also be unlikely). Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TEMP-bOY)
Hi, I am starting medicine at SGUL for 2020 entry. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to transfer to Leeds due to extenuating circumstances. My mum is on shielding due to corona as she is a variety of health problems including diabetes, a past stroke and an auto immune disease. She works from home and often needs help around the house and getting groceries. She also looks after my younger brother and sister. I have heard Leeds accept students into second year and transferring medical schools in general is not unheard of (whilst it may also be unlikely). Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
Nope.

Even if you manage to get a transfer (that in itself would be close to 99.99% impossible) it would be starting again at first year.

UK med school curriculums are simply not interchangeable - every uni teaches topics at a different stage.

Short of arranged transfers (i.e. Oxbridge to London med schools for clinical phases, St Andrews to other Scottish Unis (?) ) there are no other prescribed pathways to transfer.

You can, of course, consider dropping out and reapplying to the med school you wanted to go to but this is definitely not recommended as it'd leave a mark on your records.

*If you have heard of people transferring, why not ask them? In my 10+ years of studying / working I have never heard of a single successful transfer that's not pre-arranged. You may be confusing the Bradford Clinical Sciences foundation course transfer to Leeds with med school-med school transfers.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
TEMP-bOY
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Nope.

Even if you manage to get a transfer (that in itself would be close to 99.99% impossible) it would be starting again at first year.

UK med school curriculums are simply not interchangeable - every uni teaches topics at a different stage.

Short of arranged transfers (i.e. Oxbridge to London med schools for clinical phases, St Andrews to other Scottish Unis (?) ) there are no other prescribed pathways to transfer.

You can, of course, consider dropping out and reapplying to the med school you wanted to go to but this is definitely not recommended as it'd leave a mark on your records.

*If you have heard of people transferring, why not ask them? In my 10+ years of studying / working I have never heard of a single successful transfer that's not pre-arranged. You may be confusing the Bradford Clinical Sciences foundation course transfer to Leeds with med school-med school transfers.
would they be more accepting if I was to say that I am happy redoing first year?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
would they be more accepting if I was to say that I am happy redoing first year?
Doubt it, Leeds will have their own number of students to accept - especially after the CAG U-turn meaning everywhere (including Leeds) took on many extra students for this year, and deferrals for next year.

Med student numbers are strictly regulated and tightly controlled, a university cannot simply set aside places in case someone wants to transfer from elsewhere.

You can of course ask, there's no harm but (1) you'll need to make sure SGUL releases you - that's no easy feat and (2) you'll need Leeds to accept you - that's much tougher.
TEMP-bOY
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Doubt it, Leeds will have their own number of students to accept - especially after the CAG U-turn meaning everywhere (including Leeds) took on many extra students for this year, and deferrals for next year.

Med student numbers are strictly regulated and tightly controlled, a university cannot simply set aside places in case someone wants to transfer from elsewhere.

You can of course ask, there's no harm but (1) you'll need to make sure SGUL releases you - that's no easy feat and (2) you'll need Leeds to accept you - that's much tougher.
I have read that Leeds does accept students into second year medicine and that they have 20 places available for this. I'll try because as you say there is no harm. Would you advise calling and talking to Leeds first? Also would this be through UCAS at all or strictly through talking to the unis? Thankyou for replying btw
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have read that Leeds does accept students into second year medicine and that they have 20 places available for this. I'll try because as you say there is no harm. Would you advise calling and talking to Leeds first? Also would this be through UCAS at all or strictly through talking to the unis? Thankyou for replying btw
As I said in the first post, you are (unfortunately) confusing their formal, agreed transfer scheme between Bradford Clinical Sciences Foundation, with "random" transfers - the latter simply does not happen.

Here is the detail of that transfer scheme - it would be unfair on the Bradford students if one of those 20 seats was given to you.

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...emes/#bradford

The University of Bradford has a widening participation scheme that helps students transfer to Medicine at the School of Medicine at the University of Leeds. There are 20 places for widening participation students that have completed the Foundation Year or Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences course at the University of Bradford.

In order to be transferred, these students must meet strict academic criteria – but the academic section is based on performance in the Foundation year, not on A-Levels and GCSEs. Students are then ranked and shortlisted for an MMI interview.

Most University of Bradford Foundation students continue into Year 1 of Clinical Sciences BSc (Hons), which is accredited by the General Medical Council as the equivalent of studying Year 1 Medicine. Because of this, Leeds Medical School offers another 20 places in Year 2 Medicine for first-year students to transfer into, but the selection is still based on academic criteria.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
From Leeds' Admissions Policy
"3.8 External Transfers from other Medical Schools
In the absence of significant personal mitigating circumstances we are unable to consider applications from current medical students or from applicants who have previously attended another medical school. Such students would only be considered if they can demonstrate:
 Evidence of exceptional extenuating circumstances
 Excellent academic record at current institution
 Support for transfer from current institution
If all three of these areas are met the admissions team would ensure compatibility with the courses and availability of places on the MBChB. Any initial approach regarding this should be directly from the student’s current institution. Depending on the degree of mis-match between curricula, applicants transferring to Leeds may be required to enter the Leeds curriculum at an earlier point than they had achieved at their original institution."

So depends whether Leeds would consider your situation "exceptional extenuating circumstances". I am not sure Leeds would say that what you are describing is "exceptional" as presumably your mum had all of these issues when you applied to SGUL?
TEMP-bOY
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
From Leeds' Admissions Policy
"3.8 External Transfers from other Medical Schools
In the absence of significant personal mitigating circumstances we are unable to consider applications from current medical students or from applicants who have previously attended another medical school. Such students would only be considered if they can demonstrate:
 Evidence of exceptional extenuating circumstances
 Excellent academic record at current institution
 Support for transfer from current institution
If all three of these areas are met the admissions team would ensure compatibility with the courses and availability of places on the MBChB. Any initial approach regarding this should be directly from the student’s current institution. Depending on the degree of mis-match between curricula, applicants transferring to Leeds may be required to enter the Leeds curriculum at an earlier point than they had achieved at their original institution."

So depends whether Leeds would consider your situation "exceptional extenuating circumstances". I am not sure Leeds would say that what you are describing is "exceptional" as presumably your mum had all of these issues when you applied to SGUL?
thank you very much for this
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your mother isn't 'on shielding' as shielding is over. I think you just mean she is considered vulnerable. That may be an important distinction in your application so just pointing it out.

Its unlikely, but certainly worth asking.

Fundamentally, the problem is: why would Leeds want to accept you? What is in it for them? Taking on a student who is likely to be distracted by social needs and who may need lots of support... not that attractive. So my advice is: you need to sell yourself. Point out any good results you have, try and get a glowing reference from someone if you can. I know that may be hard but it might make the difference.

But I'd certainly be prepared for the answer to be no.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (422)
56.64%
I don't have everything I need (323)
43.36%

Watched Threads