Should I drop out of computer science degree in second year?

Watch
MrODK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve realised that I’m not passionate about this degree at all and it’s making me questions whether or not I should continue. I understand you don’t have to be passionate about a degree in order to do well in it and get a good job from it. However, I struggle to Motivate myself to do any work related to it unless it’s homework or study for an exam. I don’t hate the course necessarily I’m just starting to think do I not really have an interest in it.

I’ve tried in my spare time over summer to learn more about my course by myself and also practice programming in order to get better at it but it hasn’t really worked out. I pretty Much never do any personal projects myself in order to further my knowledge and even when I try I struggle to motivate myself for it and end up never finishing it.

My main worry about dropping out is that I haven’t really found my passion in life. There are certain hobbies I enjoy doing in my spare time like the gym, martial arts, travelling etc but I haven’t really given any thought about what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’m starting to doubt is it something in the computer science field.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A vocation and what you like eg hobby can be different things. A vocation allows you to do what you like. For example, just because a person likes surfing, it doesn't mean that person has to be a professional surfer or anything related to it.
username5308830
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps it isn’t the right course for you. Ideally you’d want to be happy with the course you’re taking and it doesn’t seem that way right now. Check out what else is on offer maybe? (:
renushi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think its brave to realise that your doing something that doesn't click with you, and are seeking to take action on it now, rather than a decade later when you've got all the commitments of adulthood and stuck in a corporate job about something you don't love. Your at uni, your young. You don't have the responsibility of taking care of a family ect. Now's the best time to go out in the world and discover yourself, because if you make mistakes there will be minimal consequences compared to any other stage in your life.
Don't waste precious years of your life doing something that your not interested in. If I were in your position I'd defer a year at uni and use that year to find my self and my passions (and get a job throughout to fund this lifestyle), so at least if I don't find anything I'd have the safety net of uni to fall back on. If you can't defer then maybe be really bold and drop out. A clean cut. A fresh start. Get a full time job to make sure you don't waste your days scrolling on the net in your bedroom. And try, try, try. Try new things. Meet new people. If you don't try you won't learn what you like.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrODK)
I’ve realised that I’m not passionate about this degree at all and it’s making me questions whether or not I should continue. I understand you don’t have to be passionate about a degree in order to do well in it and get a good job from it. However, I struggle to Motivate myself to do any work related to it unless it’s homework or study for an exam. I don’t hate the course necessarily I’m just starting to think do I not really have an interest in it.

I’ve tried in my spare time over summer to learn more about my course by myself and also practice programming in order to get better at it but it hasn’t really worked out. I pretty Much never do any personal projects myself in order to further my knowledge and even when I try I struggle to motivate myself for it and end up never finishing it.

My main worry about dropping out is that I haven’t really found my passion in life. There are certain hobbies I enjoy doing in my spare time like the gym, martial arts, travelling etc but I haven’t really given any thought about what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’m starting to doubt is it something in the computer science field.
What university are you attending?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.77%
I'm not sure (8)
2.87%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (99)
35.48%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (124)
44.44%

Watched Threads