taking a level in my second language

Watch this thread
ozcult
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've seen a lot of people saying not to take an a level in your native language as it won't count for much other than a piece of paper, but I was wondering if the same applies if you have a second language.
I'm half Russian and bilingual, but not remotely close to the standard of my english due to lack of practice. I've never lived in Russia before, and I only know Russian due to speaking it with my mum, or russian family when i visit Moscow and going to a Saturday language school.
I'm quite curious cause I want to apply for modern languages at Cambridge - im year 12, and am not sure if it will be discredited.
ozcult
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ozcult)
I've seen a lot of people saying not to take an a level in your native language as it won't count for much other than a piece of paper, but I was wondering if the same applies if you have a second language.
I'm half Russian and bilingual, but not remotely close to the standard of my english due to lack of practice. I've never lived in Russia before, and I only know Russian due to speaking it with my mum, or russian family when i visit Moscow and going to a Saturday language school.
I'm quite curious cause I want to apply for modern languages at Cambridge - im year 12, and am not sure if it will be discredited.
My Russian would be external - at sixth form, I'm studying English lit, History, Spanish. I've been given an academic scholarship to my school but as a result, also have been coerced into doing EPQ, i dont know whether to laugh or cry. I think the main reason I want to take the Russian a level is to show my passion for languages and subjct dedicatio, but with EPQ as well, I'm not sure if it's a bit unnecessary.

For reference, I'm currently debating doing Spanish and Italian ab initio at degree level.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ozcult)
My Russian would be external - at sixth form, I'm studying English lit, History, Spanish. I've been given an academic scholarship to my school but as a result, also have been coerced into doing EPQ, i dont know whether to laugh or cry. I think the main reason I want to take the Russian a level is to show my passion for languages and subjct dedicatio, but with EPQ as well, I'm not sure if it's a bit unnecessary.

For reference, I'm currently debating doing Spanish and Italian ab initio at degree level.
I would focus the EPQ on something to do with languages rather than another A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads