The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Maths Undergraduate Entry

I am seriously considering applying for either Oxford or St Andrews to study Maths but unsure what my chances are of getting into either of them.
My school is a Scottish state school in an average area. I have 6 highers, 4 at A grade band 1 which are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Graph Com I also have English at A and Geography which I did a year early which is an A grade.
This year I am studying 3 advanced highers Maths, Chemistry and Physics, because they are my stronger subjects I should get A grades.
I realise that there is the MAT test at a Oxford which I looked at and it is very challenging so I will need some help on it to give me a chance however on my grades I would be interested to hear if what I have is good enough for either ( I know it exceeds the standard requirements however they are difficult uni’s to get into ) and any hints and tips.
Last thing if I was successful at St Andrews should I apply for second year entry and if my MAT test score is only average would that be the basis for selection?
Any help appreciated from past/present students 👍
Dd applied to Oxford and St Andrew's for Maths with similar grades. Oxford was the long shot and she wasnt that bothered, in all honesty it was a relief when the rejection came. She has now very happily commenced this year at St As direct entry to 2nd year.
Her school advised her to apply for 1st year entry and change once there which she did. Read the uni maths page it tells you clearly you can decide on entry level when you start provided you have the grades. Your personal statement needs to be very strong for St As with lots of super curricular and what you learned from them. Lots of luck to you I am sure with those grades you will do very well whatever uni you end up going to.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Sorry forgot to add St A dont care about the MAT.
Reply 3
Many thanks for your reply, very helpful especially the note on personal statement 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending