alternativemood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m applying for biomedical sciences and was wondering if there was any advice on how to write a good personal statement for it? Like what to include, how to stand out.

I’ve got quite minimum experience to be honest so any little advice for be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I studied Biomedical Science at University, and remember been in the same boat when doing my personal statement. I emailed my local NHS lab and asked if I could come for a look around, which I was invited to do. I also attended a public lecture at my local university on a random topic just so it was seen that I was proactive. The aforementioned is looked at very favourably on a PS, although you might have difficulties due to COVID.
Look up other ones online. Be original and just convince them why you want to do the subject, at that university, and why they should accept you. You can obviously exaggerate a bit, but don't outright lie because if the university interviews you, you might get caught out.
Good luck and happy to help further if required.
thenoname
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alternativemood)
I’m applying for biomedical sciences and was wondering if there was any advice on how to write a good personal statement for it? Like what to include, how to stand out.

I’ve got quite minimum experience to be honest so any little advice for be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
include why you want to study biomed what made you pick biomed out of all the courses out there. why you would be the right candidate; what skills do you have, also write about the skills that your Alevels helped you gain. write about your hobbies, what you like to do in your spare time.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Read books, watch online lectures, do online courses, listen to podcasts - do things that show your interest in the subject and talk about why they are interesting
microglia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied for biomed last year.

I started off my personal statement with a brief paragraph explaining why I chose to study it, my favourite A-level topics related to biomed, and what I was most looking forward to when studying biomed at uni.

I divided the main body of my personal statement into 3 paragraphs, each of which focused on a topic I had researched (for example, one paragraph was centred around neuroscience). I wrote about lectures I had attended, books I had read, essays I had written etc. and what they taught me. The important thing here is not to simply list activities you have done, but to explain what they taught you and what they led you towards (quality, not quantity). For example, did you attend a lecture that led you to read a certain book, or explore another subject area? This was how I linked my paragraphs - I explained how my exploration of one topic had led to exploration of another, and what excited/interested me about these topics.

My second-to-last paragraph was very brief and focused on extra-curricular activities. How much of your personal statement is centred about your extracurriculars depends on what universities you're applying to - if you're aiming for Russell group unis (and Oxbridge in particular), this paragraph should be very short (probably around 10% of your personal statement, max). If you're applying to other universities, it's probably fine to make it longer. I briefly discussed some activities I did that were unrelated to biomed and explained the skills they had taught me.

My final paragraph was very short and simply summarised why I wished to study biomed and what excited me about it.

Hope this helps, good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions.
alternativemood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks so much for that!! @microglia super helpful
lilacprague
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
microglia i originally wanted to do medicine so did the Brighton and Sussex virtual work experience before deciding on biomed. my tutor said I can twist it to show how I did something extra and now im a lot more certain in my choice, but my bio teacher said not to include it as it wasn't relevant, and I see both points. should I include a paragraph on it and try to and show my "commitment" or just leave it?
alternativemood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lilacprague)
microglia i originally wanted to do medicine so did the Brighton and Sussex virtual work experience before deciding on biomed. my tutor said I can twist it to show how I did something extra and now im a lot more certain in my choice, but my bio teacher said not to include it as it wasn't relevant, and I see both points. should I include a paragraph on it and try to and show my "commitment" or just leave it?
Hi lilacprague I also did that wex this year! I personally am including it and adjusting it to show I went out my way to do extra research.

Good luck!
alternativemood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by microglia)
I applied for biomed last year.

I started off my personal statement with a brief paragraph explaining why I chose to study it, my favourite A-level topics related to biomed, and what I was most looking forward to when studying biomed at uni.

I divided the main body of my personal statement into 3 paragraphs, each of which focused on a topic I had researched (for example, one paragraph was centred around neuroscience). I wrote about lectures I had attended, books I had read, essays I had written etc. and what they taught me. The important thing here is not to simply list activities you have done, but to explain what they taught you and what they led you towards (quality, not quantity). For example, did you attend a lecture that led you to read a certain book, or explore another subject area? This was how I linked my paragraphs - I explained how my exploration of one topic had led to exploration of another, and what excited/interested me about these topics.

My second-to-last paragraph was very brief and focused on extra-curricular activities. How much of your personal statement is centred about your extracurriculars depends on what universities you're applying to - if you're aiming for Russell group unis (and Oxbridge in particular), this paragraph should be very short (probably around 10% of your personal statement, max). If you're applying to other universities, it's probably fine to make it longer. I briefly discussed some activities I did that were unrelated to biomed and explained the skills they had taught me.

My final paragraph was very short and simply summarised why I wished to study biomed and what excited me about it.

Hope this helps, good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions.
microglia sooo helpful! Thank you so much
lilacprague
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by alternativemood)
Hi lilacprague I also did that wex this year! I personally am including it and adjusting it to show I went out my way to do extra research.

Good luck!
oh okay cool, thank you and you too! in terms of your other paragraphs is it around the same size?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.88%
I'm not sure (8)
2.89%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (98)
35.38%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (123)
44.4%

Watched Threads