Not sure when to re-apply for finance!

Watch
LewisDixon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there!

I've posted in the student room before asking for advice about sending extenuating circumstances to student finance before in another thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6216570) but recently I've had a discussion with my brother that has made me second guess the whole thing.

Long story short, should I go back to uni, I only have 2 years of finance left but I would have to do a 3 year degree, which of course means I haven't got enough finance to last me through a new degree.

I had contacted student finance and they said to send in evidence of extenuating circumstances, which I have, to have another year of finance reimbursed.

However, my brother, a university graduate himself, is questioning whether it isn't a better idea to apply to university and apply for the finance when I need it. He raises a valid point - what better evidence will there be than two years of university complete, proving that I can do what I haven't done before.

But I'm not sure what's typical in this sort of situation, as I know it probably isn't common. Does anyone have any advice?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Student finance aren't interested in evidence that you'll be able to do the course. They're looking for evidence that your previous study was cut short due to "compelling personal reasons".

If you aren't granted CPR for one of your previous years of study then your first year tuition fees wouldn't be eligible for a tuition fee loan on a new degree. You would have to pay your tuition fees yourself directly to your university. Unfunded years always come at the START of a new course not at the end.
LewisDixon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Student finance aren't interested in evidence that you'll be able to do the course. They're looking for evidence that your previous study was cut short due to "compelling personal reasons".

If you aren't granted CPR for one of your previous years of study then your first year tuition fees wouldn't be eligible for a tuition fee loan on a new degree. You would have to pay your tuition fees yourself directly to your university. Unfunded years always come at the START of a new course not at the end.
That answers my question perfectly. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads