Is University College London significantly better than Oxbridge for postgraduates?

Watch
tsrholicc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
- UCL has received significantly more UK government funding than every other uni for the past 2 years for research purposes.

- It has even received much more COVID-19 related funding because of its research proposals.

- According to a ranking of universities produced by SCImago Research Group, UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in terms of total research output.

- According to a 10-year analysis released in July 2008 by ISI Web of Knowledge, UCL is the most-cited university of Europe.

- UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in the 2019/20 University Ranking by Academic Performance.

- UCL is ranked 2nd in Europe in the 2019 National Taiwan University Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.

Or are Oxford and Cambridge not much worse?
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are looking at it the wrong way. None is better than the other. UCL, Oxford and Cambridge are all recognised as elite universities and are equally highly respected.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tsrholicc)
- UCL has received significantly more UK government funding than every other uni for the past 2 years for research purposes.

- It has even received much more COVID-19 related funding because of its research proposals.

- According to a ranking of universities produced by SCImago Research Group, UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in terms of total research output.

- According to a 10-year analysis released in July 2008 by ISI Web of Knowledge, UCL is the most-cited university of Europe.

- UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in the 2019/20 University Ranking by Academic Performance.

- UCL is ranked 2nd in Europe in the 2019 National Taiwan University Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.

How about if you strip out all medical research data?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
UCL has 24,000 postgrads, Oxford has 12,000, Cambridge has 8,000. That might have something to do with it, because it means Oxford would need to have over double the output per postgrad student to equal UCL on total output measures, and Cambridge would need to over triple it.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NowAndThen)
You are looking at it the wrong way. None is better than the other. UCL, Oxford and Cambridge are all recognised as elite universities and are equally highly respected.
I don't believe that. Most Americans have never even heard of UCL. I don't even believe it for the UK.
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
UCL has 24,000 postgrads, Oxford has 12,000, Cambridge has 8,000. That might have something to do with it, because it means Oxford would need to have over double the output per postgrad student to equal UCL on total output measures, and Cambridge would need to over triple it.
Wrong. This is totally incorrect and some serious misinformation. UCL has only 7700 Academic Staff. Cambridge has about 8000, while Oxford has over 7000 as well.

Yet UCL research is significantly superior. The fact that they are teaching/supervising many more people and reaching research heights shows they are probably much better than Oxbridge researchers.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
How about if you strip out all medical research data?
There are at least 30-40 subjects and UCL is leading the world in all of them combined. As far as I can tell, its at the top in:

- The total combined spectrum of the biomedical and health sciences
- Training and education
- The total combined spectrum of social studies and the humanities
- Architecture, Planning, Built Environment etc.
- Interdisciplinary studies

Sure Oxbridge may not be that worse or maybe even slightly better in the physical sciences, computers, maths, some forms of engineering and maybe a couple of other subjects but as a university overall, UCL is ahead of them all. Cambridge in particular is not doing well at all in research and academic performance. It has never surpassed UCL in recent years. UCL seems like a whole league above Cambridge.

(Original post by RogerOxon)
I don't believe that. Most Americans have never even heard of UCL. I don't even believe it for the UK.
Most American's don't even know where North Korea is. The academics/educated people in America are all using and trying to comprehend UCL research.

For example, UCL recently found that COVID is linked to brain damage. American universities immediately started following UCL's lead.
Last edited by tsrholicc; 1 month ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most American's don't even know where North Korea is.
Research quality depends, to a large extent, on the ability of the individual. Part of attracting the brightest and the best, requires strong brand recognition. UCL is far behind Oxbridge in that.

The academics/educated people in America are all using and trying to comprehend UCL research.
I'm not.

Academics read and try "to comprehend" research from lots of universities. UCL's isn't on another level to all other universities. I'm sure that they have their share of world-leading research, as do many universities.

For example, UCL recently found that COVID is linked to brain damage. American universities immediately started following UCL's lead.
This research, whilst useful, is fairly standard - it's not a huge leap, nor will it leave others "trying to comprehend UCL research".

Did Oxbridge reject you? Just enjoy UCL, and do the best research that you can.
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
Research quality depends, to a large extent, on the ability of the individual. Part of attracting the brightest and the best, requires strong brand recognition. UCL is far behind Oxbridge in that.

I'm not.

Academics read and try "to comprehend" research from lots of universities. UCL's isn't on another level to all other universities. I'm sure that they have their share of world-leading research, as do many universities.

This research, whilst useful, is fairly standard - it's not a huge leap, nor will it leave others "trying to comprehend UCL research".

Yeah and seems LSE/ICL/UCL academics have a lot more ability considering the amount of students they teach and superiority in academic research. No doubt, Oxbridge still has the a better setting for tourists. CaliTech, MIT and Stanford are all better than Ivy League unis now too, but Ivy's haven't lost their touristy feel. I'm from Yale but Oxbridge is notorious for not taking the best, but people based on their background/race/accent/religion or something similar.

UCL is actually on another level, it's Europe's most cited uni and almost always #1 for research. Cambridge is like a whole league behind. LSE research is used the most by civil servants. I think you work at a uni that doesn't produce anything. Well that's okay as long as you're doing your best.

Just like in everything else combined, UCL is leading the world on COVID research. That was just one small example. Do your research!
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah and seems LSE/ICL/UCL academics have a lot more ability considering the amount of students they teach and superiority in academic research.
NUMBER!

I'm from Yale but Oxbridge is notorious for not taking the best, but people based on their background/race/accent/religion or something similar.
Rubbish. Was it Oxford or Cambridge that rejected you?

UCL is actually on another level
You must be a Trump supporter - they fall for the "repeat it enough times and they'll believe it" BS. I don't.

Just like in everything else combined, UCL is leading the world on COVID research. That was just one small example. Do your research!
I'm not the one making the claim. Evidence is required to substantiate a claim, not repeated assertions.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I'm not.

PRSOM
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah and seems LSE/ICL/UCL academics have a lot more ability considering the amount of students they teach and superiority in academic research. No doubt, Oxbridge still has the a better setting for tourists. CaliTech, MIT and Stanford are all better than Ivy League unis now too, but Ivy's haven't lost their touristy feel. I'm from Yale but Oxbridge is notorious for not taking the best, but people based on their background/race/accent/religion or something similar.

UCL is actually on another level, it's Europe's most cited uni and almost always #1 for research. Cambridge is like a whole league behind. LSE research is used the most by civil servants. I think you work at a uni that doesn't produce anything. Well that's okay as long as you're doing your best.

QS 2020 world rankings.

https://www.topuniversities.com/subject-rankings/2020

Can't even see UCL on here.

And there's this:

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...sities-uk-2020

and this:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...niversities-uk

In this survey for quality of research, Oxford and Cambridge are not top of the league, but UCL is still trailing behind them...

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...search-quality

RogerOxon
Last edited by Oxford Mum; 1 month ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The answer will probably vary between postgrad applicants and students based upon a variety of subjective criteria.
Personal ambitions, finances, support circles and lifestyle preferences.
I prefer to study in London and never considered applying to Oxbridge.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If you'd got into Oxford maybe you'd have learned what a citation was.
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
NUMBER!
Rubbish. Was it Oxford or Cambridge that rejected you?
You must be a Trump supporter - they fall for the "repeat it enough times and they'll believe it" BS. I don't.
I'm not the one making the claim. Evidence is required to substantiate a claim, not repeated assertions.
AND QUALITY!!!! That's how superior UCL really is. You see since 20118-19 the UK government trusts UCL much more thank both Oxbridge despite it having a smaller number of academics than Cambridge. UKRI agrees that CAMBRIDGE IS SLIGHTLY RUBBISH compared to Europe's leader UCL, and so is Oxford now. I'm from the land of the free but just find it funny how peasant children are trying to act like medieval discriminating lords based on no research or evidence at all haha. The SUPERIOR QUALITY of UCL research proposals is how they've secured significantly more COVID funding than Oxford and obviously Cambridge lol. Just give up because it's settled. LSE, UCL, ICL are by far the superior unis now.

Oxbridge COVID proposals were probably thrown in the trash later. You or nexttime could look for them the next time you lot go dumpster diving.

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
QS 2020 world rankings. https://www.timeshighereducation.com...niversities-uk

In this survey for quality of research, Oxford and Cambridge are not top of the league
Lol QS, THE & newspaper rankings are not based on research but things like student-staff ratio, international student numbers, student satisfaction, opinion surveys etc. Jesus Christ.
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the op is suffering from a very serious case of penis envy, if that term is still politically acceptable. Enjoy your time at UCL, just don't try to convince the rest of us that the earth is flat.

Just for your information, 2 of my fellow PhD cohorts were rejected at Oxbridge, yet had unconditional offers of PhD places at UCL. Make of that what you will, but it doesn't really suggest that UCL is attracting better calibre of researchers than Oxbridge. While this is purely anecdotal, I have yet to come across anyone who was rejected by UCL and yet had offers at Oxbridge. Maybe the op can enlighten us?
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
(Original post by chaotic1328)
I think the op is suffering from a very serious case of penis envy, if that term is still politically acceptable. Enjoy your time at UCL, just don't try to convince the rest of us that the earth is flat.

Just for your information, 2 of my fellow PhD cohorts were rejected at Oxbridge, yet had unconditional offers of PhD places at UCL. Make of that what you will, but it doesn't really suggest that UCL is attracting better calibre of researchers than Oxbridge. While this is purely anecdotal, I have yet to come across anyone who was rejected by UCL and yet had offers at Oxbridge. Maybe the op can enlighten us?
Weren't Oxbridge graduates the one's to insist that the earth is flat? hahaha. UCL was the first centre for real learning whilst Oxbridge were just celibate schools wallowing in Christian "knowledge". Get a grip. The only envy is coming from Oxbridge graduates who are being the very definition of sore losers. You're the only one giving your opinions I'm just stating academic research facts.

Those PhD students will never be able to produce the kind of work people at LSE, ICL & UCL produce. By the time they graduate, Oxbridge will be even worse than they are today in comparison. You guys shouldn't cry over it, but be happy that someone is producing research out there.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AND QUALITY!!!! That's how superior UCL really is. You see since 20118-19 the UK government trusts UCL much more thank both Oxbridge despite it having a smaller number of academics than Cambridge. UKRI agrees that CAMBRIDGE IS SLIGHTLY RUBBISH compared to Europe's leader UCL, and so is Oxford now. I'm from the land of the free but just find it funny how peasant children are trying to act like medieval discriminating lords based on no research or evidence at all haha. The SUPERIOR QUALITY of UCL research proposals is how they've secured significantly more COVID funding than Oxford and obviously Cambridge lol. Just give up because it's settled. LSE, UCL, ICL are by far the superior unis now.

Oxbridge COVID proposals were probably thrown in the trash later. You or nexttime could look for them the next time you lot go dumpster diving.

Lol QS, THE & newspaper rankings are not based on research but things like student-staff ratio, international student numbers, student satisfaction, opinion surveys etc. Jesus Christ.
And I also posted a survey of research quality as well. Oxford and Cambridge are still ahead of UCL.

You are not in a position to scoff at others unless you can provide statistical evidence of your own, and it seems you can't.

Just think if I started a thread saying "Oxford is better for research than UCL". Everybody would think I was a right arrogant idiot.

You can get great research opportunities at just about every uni if you look for it.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Weren't Oxbridge graduates the one's to insist that the earth is flat? hahaha. UCL was the first centre for real learning whilst Oxbridge were just celibate schools wallowing in Christian "knowledge". Get a grip. The only envy is coming from Oxbridge graduates who are being the very definition of sore losers. You're the only one giving your opinions I'm just stating academic research facts.

Those PhD students will never be able to produce the kind of work people at LSE, ICL & UCL produce. By the time they graduate, Oxbridge will be even worse than they are today in comparison. You guys shouldn't cry over it, but be happy that someone is producing research out there.
Who's crying?

My son is just doing some medical research (at Oxford). It's a world first and is being submitted for publication in a few weeks' time.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The SUPERIOR QUALITY of UCL research proposals is how they've secured significantly more COVID funding than Oxford and obviously Cambridge lol.
I have to say this was actually very clever by UCL, have to admit. Take all the covid funding then produce absolutely nothing with it whilst Oxford does vaccine, dexamethasone, etc - I assume they'd earmarked that money for other projects, perhaps you can shed some light?
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Interesting. So while my facts are merely opinions, your rants (all without citations or coherent arguments) are somehow 'facts'. I am surprised with that sort of sloppy academic attitude, you managed to get a PhD place at UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.09%

Watched Threads