Am I wasting my time chasing a goal?

Watch
Bvbfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok, so here is my situation. I started playing tennis when I was 5. I was pretty good from the start and one thing lead to another another and suddenly I was having coaching and playing competitions. before long, I started winning my local competitions and by the time I was 9 I was in the top 10 players in Great Britain. I kind of lingered around this standard for a few years, dropped a little bit to top 20-25 on under 12s but was nevertheless still a national standard player. It stayed this way until under 14s, when all of a sudden I had a shoulder injury that lasted for 7 months and my ranking plummeted to outside the top 200. Luckily I made a full recovery and came back better than ever but I could only improve my ranking to the top 100 by the time I moved up to under 16s. After that, with my gcses approaching and after that my A levels, I never really pushed to improve my ranking to where it was, with an important school year on the horizon I put tennis on the backseat a little and improving my ranking back to the top 25 seemed like too much of an uphill battle. I never stopped playing tennis regularly, but I had fallen a lot rankings wise. Im now 18 and looking back im disappointed that after that injury I was never able to get back to where I felt I belonged. Im not sure i ever truly wanted to be a tennis player, but i didnt write it off. I was due to start uni this september but i have decided to take a gap year and plan to really play a lot of tennis during it. That brings me to my question, do you guys think I am wasting my time throwing my lot in with tennis at the age of 18 when I am way of the national scene and havent been there for ages. Like for the first time in years I have no school to worry about so the sky is the limit when it comes to how much work I can put in. I am going to work hard on the physcial side as well which is something I have never done. Like im not expecting to come out of this year as a world class player. But I would be lying if I said I have completely given up on the idea of being a tennis player. it wasnt until I was 16 really when I was just starting to think about what I want to do with my future when i realised how luxurious a job being a tennis player would be. I know its a huge longshot, but players these days are starting to peak at an older age, and if i work hard on my game do you guys think there is a chance I can at least improve my ranking significantly. I know pretty much every professional tennis player had a world ranking when they were 18, so could it be a case of never say never? being a tennis player would be a dream come true for me, truthfully over the years i think i could have worked harder but as im only 18 do i still have time to make up for that work. And you never know by the time i am 22-23 I could get a world ranking? what do you guys think, am i crazy to be saying this?
White_whale8000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that if thats what your hoal is you should shoot your shot or you might regret it i also suggest you get in the mind set of im taking that win and only a win and constantly be in it so that you can work that bit harder and get that bit more improvement, just shoot your shot
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bvbfan)
Ok, so here is my situation. I started playing tennis when I was 5. I was pretty good from the start and one thing lead to another another and suddenly I was having coaching and playing competitions. before long, I started winning my local competitions and by the time I was 9 I was in the top 10 players in Great Britain. I kind of lingered around this standard for a few years, dropped a little bit to top 20-25 on under 12s but was nevertheless still a national standard player. It stayed this way until under 14s, when all of a sudden I had a shoulder injury that lasted for 7 months and my ranking plummeted to outside the top 200. Luckily I made a full recovery and came back better than ever but I could only improve my ranking to the top 100 by the time I moved up to under 16s. After that, with my gcses approaching and after that my A levels, I never really pushed to improve my ranking to where it was, with an important school year on the horizon I put tennis on the backseat a little and improving my ranking back to the top 25 seemed like too much of an uphill battle. I never stopped playing tennis regularly, but I had fallen a lot rankings wise. Im now 18 and looking back im disappointed that after that injury I was never able to get back to where I felt I belonged. Im not sure i ever truly wanted to be a tennis player, but i didnt write it off. I was due to start uni this september but i have decided to take a gap year and plan to really play a lot of tennis during it. That brings me to my question, do you guys think I am wasting my time throwing my lot in with tennis at the age of 18 when I am way of the national scene and havent been there for ages. Like for the first time in years I have no school to worry about so the sky is the limit when it comes to how much work I can put in. I am going to work hard on the physcial side as well which is something I have never done. Like im not expecting to come out of this year as a world class player. But I would be lying if I said I have completely given up on the idea of being a tennis player. it wasnt until I was 16 really when I was just starting to think about what I want to do with my future when i realised how luxurious a job being a tennis player would be. I know its a huge longshot, but players these days are starting to peak at an older age, and if i work hard on my game do you guys think there is a chance I can at least improve my ranking significantly. I know pretty much every professional tennis player had a world ranking when they were 18, so could it be a case of never say never? being a tennis player would be a dream come true for me, truthfully over the years i think i could have worked harder but as im only 18 do i still have time to make up for that work. And you never know by the time i am 22-23 I could get a world ranking? what do you guys think, am i crazy to be saying this?
I must admit I don't know much about tennis, you should ask your coach's opinion about your prospects, he/she is probably more qualified than a bunch of randoms on TSR.
I don't think taking a gap year before uni is waste of time, many people do that, and it's good to take a step back and look at your life and decide what you really want to do with your future. Many students just drift into courses without having a clear idea what they can do with their degrees after graduation. You can start uni at any age, but if you want to take tennis seriously you have to do it now.
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do take a gap year, it will help you to think everything through.

Since you are really passionate about tennis and truly believe you have what it takes, then keep working hard and don't look back.

Don't live a life with regrets. If it doesn't work out in the end, you will at least be comforted by the fact that you tried your best and that you gave it your all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
15.35%
I'm not sure (8)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (84)
36.84%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (97)
42.54%

Watched Threads