Hmm..0k
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya,

I'm struggling a lot with this and would love some input.

I got into Warwick via clearing this year and everything felt a bit rushed.
My original first choice was Newcastle, but due to distance from home mainly I decided to either go through clearing or take a gap year before I even got my results. I loved Lancaster too but despite getting an offer i declined as i assumed i wouldnt get the grades.

Anyways, I got decent grades, with one A in my degree subject of choice and decided to go through clearing.
I chose Warwick as it excels academically and offered me guaranteed on-campus accommodation despite going through clearing. It also probably wouldnt have accepted me on a normal year.

I was so excited on results day but what followed was a series of stressful weeks. My gut kept telling me that it wasnt the place for me and I need more personal growth.

But I got involved anyways and felt more confident once contacting accomodation groupchats.

The people seem nice and my course is intriguing.
But I still have 4 main issues:

1) Warwick is said to be a boring, uptight uni anyways, let alone with the virus causing us to isolate. I want a social uni experience.

2) Will I get the same quality of education this year as its mainly online?

3) I'm scared I won't achieve academically compared to my peers. Many I've spoken to are Oxbridge rejects and my college didnt even let me apply there.

3) If my gut keeps telling me to wait, should I listen or give it a go anyways?

Theres also the question of what to do during my gap year. I was thinking of taking a fast-track A level in a subject i enjoy to help with January uni applications. However, jobs are limited, as are work experience relevant to my degree, due to the virus and isolation. Similarly, travel abroad comes with isolating but was one of the main things I wanted to do on a normal gap year.

Please help, I'm so confused.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just about to go to bed but current warwick student and thought i'd quickly answer some things.
  1. No it isn't. You will definitely find like-minded people.
  2. Basically depends on the lecturer, sorry. Some will adapt quite well to online learning, others may have poorer implementation. It's worth noting that in normal years, lectures are often lecture captured and people skip some lectures and learn entirely off the capture and are fine. There is still hope for in-person teaching, if Warwick SU stops being so awkward pursuing 100% online for term 1.
  3. If they let you in, they think you can do well. (ie. a 2:1 or above) Warwick will have a lot of Oxbridge rejects (particularly for maths, economics, computer science, but also humanities), because it is up there, but there'll be some people where Warwick was their dream university and Warwick was the "hardest" university they applied to.
  4. It's natural to have nerves but if you're majorly apprehensive about going, do give it some thought.
hannahbarrym
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Differ your year, listen to your gut!!!! Uni is an experience that only happens once usually.

You will always be asking what if. You got decent grades you can go wherever you set your heart on.

I went to Nottingham and dropped out after 1 TERM !!! and what a pain that was financially etc (I live over 3 hours away.)

Covid will impact your uni experience right now regardless, you’ll find less people may want to go to uni over the next couple of years too anyway, it’s becoming less appealing due to costs etc and unis want to fulfil their places. I know a lady who works at UEA and they have had to let 00’s of staff members go as they have not got the international funding.
Hmm..0k
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahbarrym)
Differ your year, listen to your gut!!!! Uni is an experience that only happens once usually.

You will always be asking what if. You got decent grades you can go wherever you set your heart on.

I went to Nottingham and dropped out after 1 TERM !!! and what a pain that was financially etc (I live over 3 hours away.)

Covid will impact your uni experience right now regardless, you’ll find less people may want to go to uni over the next couple of years too anyway, it’s becoming less appealing due to costs etc and unis want to fulfil their places. I know a lady who works at UEA and they have had to let 00’s of staff members go as they have not got the international funding.
Thanks for replying so quick! I cant sleep with this decision weighing over me so I really appreciate it.

I'm supposed to be leaving next week and my back up plan was to start the A Level course whilst I'm at Warwick just in case I hate it there. So if I decide I want to drop out after a few weeks it wont hinder that qualification.

Was the financial cost that big? I'm prepared for mine to be at most the cost for first year (hopefully not!) But the information I've been getting from SF and the uni have been a bit mixed and/or contradictory in terms of the amount I'd be paying.

I wish I was able to get into any uni I want but unfortunately I got a C in one of my exams which limits my options for Russel Grouo unis.

Do you mind me asking what you did after leaving Nottingham? And what made you leave? Dont worry if you dont want to I really appreciate what you've already told me.
Hmm..0k
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Just about to go to bed but current warwick student and thought i'd quickly answer some things.
  1. No it isn't. You will definitely find like-minded people.
  2. Basically depends on the lecturer, sorry. Some will adapt quite well to online learning, others may have poorer implementation. It's worth noting that in normal years, lectures are often lecture captured and people skip some lectures and learn entirely off the capture and are fine. There is still hope for in-person teaching, if Warwick SU stops being so awkward pursuing 100% online for term 1.
  3. If they let you in, they think you can do well. (ie. a 2:1 or above) Warwick will have a lot of Oxbridge rejects (particularly for maths, economics, computer science, but also humanities), because it is up there, but there'll be some people where Warwick was their dream university and Warwick was the "hardest" university they applied to.
  4. It's natural to have nerves but if you're majorly apprehensive about going, do give it some thought.
Thanks for replying! The people I've talked to on the groupchats all seem lovely so you're probably right about finding like-minded people, I'm just scared I wont get that oppurtunity to find them this year due to social distancing.

I really hope there are in-person sessions too, I understand the risks and will definetly follow guidelines, but I found it weird how adamant the SU are on that considering a lot of students might not want it be that restrictive.

I did have another question if that's alright? If I did want a more relaxed, party-type undergrad degree would you recommend going to a lower ranked uni and then going to Warwick for a postgraduates etc.?

Thanks again
Last edited by Hmm..0k; 1 month ago
hannahbarrym
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hmm..0k)
Thanks for replying so quick! I cant sleep with this decision weighing over me so I really appreciate it.

I'm supposed to be leaving next week and my back up plan was to start the A Level course whilst I'm at Warwick just in case I hate it there. So if I decide I want to drop out after a few weeks it wont hinder that qualification.

Was the financial cost that big? I'm prepared for mine to be at most the cost for first year (hopefully not!) But the information I've been getting from SF and the uni have been a bit mixed and/or contradictory in terms of the amount I'd be paying.

I wish I was able to get into any uni I want but unfortunately I got a C in one of my exams which limits my options for Russel Grouo unis.

Do you mind me asking what you did after leaving Nottingham? And what made you leave? Dont worry if you dont want to I really appreciate what you've already told me.
I completely understand, I went to Nottingham because it was one of the best for the engineering course I was considering, fab little city, just got a good feeling off it.
But I went to that uni with full intentions that IF I ever finished that degree it’s not what I would want to pursue as a career, quickly became really depressed and hated it no matter how much I tried to love it. Of course you can ask anything I don’t mind haha, I studied engineering and hated it. I actually wanted to go into veterinary studies growing up which probably sounds insane as they’re so different but I was so sick through my education my grades were impacted badly. Obviously most vet schools base entry off grades.

Can I ask what area you’re studying?

Well if you don’t enroll you won’t pay any tuition fees- I only had to pay first term (I was literally a day off the cut off- I did it before my family knew as my fear was just telling them!), but also accommodation, it doesn’t account either for all the expenditures that cost to go to uni, bits for your kitchen etc you know? I went for private student housing as I wanted a studio so I also had to sort out finding a new Tennant, plus then there’s the big move (I was moving from Essex so it was a big move)

Which uni are you set on? Like if grades weren’t an issue here that you wanted? Asides from oxbridge and a few others, have you considered a higher education course- they last an academic year and give you more credits? There’s loads of them, you can also have the fee waived (you can get an advanced learner loan) if you then go on to use it to do a degree. I’m currently waiting on my application to a birkbeck one!! I wish I knew about them sooner. They’re part time (2-3 days a week) lots of personal study but also gives you a little break too.

Definitely worth checking out x
Hmm..0k
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahbarrym)
I completely understand, I went to Nottingham because it was one of the best for the engineering course I was considering, fab little city, just got a good feeling off it.
But I went to that uni with full intentions that IF I ever finished that degree it’s not what I would want to pursue as a career, quickly became really depressed and hated it no matter how much I tried to love it. Of course you can ask anything I don’t mind haha, I studied engineering and hated it. I actually wanted to go into veterinary studies growing up which probably sounds insane as they’re so different but I was so sick through my education my grades were impacted badly. Obviously most vet schools base entry off grades.

Can I ask what area you’re studying?

Well if you don’t enroll you won’t pay any tuition fees- I only had to pay first term (I was literally a day off the cut off- I did it before my family knew as my fear was just telling them!), but also accommodation, it doesn’t account either for all the expenditures that cost to go to uni, bits for your kitchen etc you know? I went for private student housing as I wanted a studio so I also had to sort out finding a new Tennant, plus then there’s the big move (I was moving from Essex so it was a big move)

Which uni are you set on? Like if grades weren’t an issue here that you wanted? Asides from oxbridge and a few others, have you considered a higher education course- they last an academic year and give you more credits? There’s loads of them, you can also have the fee waived (you can get an advanced learner loan) if you then go on to use it to do a degree. I’m currently waiting on my application to a birkbeck one!! I wish I knew about them sooner. They’re part time (2-3 days a week) lots of personal study but also gives you a little break too.

Definitely worth checking out x
I see, that makes sense then, and I'm doing a History course. I've always loved learning about it so hopefully I'll like the course.

And I'll definetly look into those, there are a few unis around me that offer similar courses but I'm scared I've already missed the start date.

And I think there is a uni in mind that I like but I'm not 100% sure on any which makes things a bit difficult.

But thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it
Last edited by Hmm..0k; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads