Why has Warwick sliden down on the league table for law?

Watch
gabriel001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why has Warwick sliden down on the league table for law? Does that mean that it is no longer a top law school or top university? Does that not prove that any reputation or prestige of a law department gained due to the league table is unstable and ephemeral - one day it can be top ten, another it can be twenty plus, and so its better to rely on the international rankings?
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
League tables change all the time due to varying reasons. I wouldn’t base a university choice on league tables alone. Somewhere can still be ‘good’ for a course despite being further down the table.
gabriel001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexjw)
League tables change all the time due to varying reasons. I wouldn’t base a university choice on league tables alone. Somewhere can still be ‘good’ for a course despite being further down the table.
Hi Bexjw thanks for your response. But what about for law departments which have consistently been in the top ten? Like Nottingham for example? Is there a risk of it falling in the near future? Or will it always be known as a premier law school?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gabriel001)
Why has Warwick sliden down on the league table for law? Does that mean that it is no longer a top law school or top university? Does that not prove that any reputation or prestige of a law department gained due to the league table is unstable and ephemeral - one day it can be top ten, another it can be twenty plus, and so its better to rely on the international rankings?
Warwick is still a top uni and a good law school - it has fallen 2 places in the Complete University Guide for Law which isn't significant.

If you're an international student then you may want to pay more attention to international rankings but UK people should pay more attention to the CUG if they want to use a league table
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gabriel001)
All this talk of 'talk' and 'premier' seems childish to me. There is no formal definition of a 'top' law school. Prestige doesn't matter and, even if it did, Warwick's has remained the same because no one in a law firm or chambers will know or care about the 2021 iteration of a league table that barely mattered to them when they were applying to universities.

In my personal opinion, 'top' is used far too loosely. Oxbridge are the 'top' schools in the country. You then get a bunch of elite, internationally renown faculties like LSE, UCL, KCL and Edinburgh. After that it's a mishmash. Warwick has a good name on this forum because of its strength in other fields and a good presence in competitive sectors like investment banking. It doesn't mean that it's clearly superior for law than other good regional universities like Bristol, Nottingham or Durham.

International rankings have their own drawbacks. Warwick doesn't look particularly amazing on them for law if you look at the universities it's ranked similarly to, especially when compared to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc.

Edit: No one can predict the future, but the faculties that have traditionally been strongest at law have continued to be strong today. There are some exceptions (Birmingham had one of the first law faculties and was seen as a lot stronger back when law wasn't seen as a traditionally 'worthy' subject).
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Warwick is find for law (and I agree with the post just above). Also have a look at which are the hardest to get into in terms of A level grades of those who get places as that tends to show which are the better places. Also look at the CVs online of lawyers old and young of places where you might want to work and see where they went (rather than a league table where students say they liked the place because they didn't have to much work and had a lot of drinking time and were happy).
gabriel001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
All this talk of 'talk' and 'premier' seems childish to me. There is no formal definition of a 'top' law school. Prestige doesn't matter and, even if it did, Warwick's has remained the same because no one in a law firm or chambers will know or care about the 2021 iteration of a league table that barely mattered to them when they were applying to universities.

In my personal opinion, 'top' is used far too loosely. Oxbridge are the 'top' schools in the country. You then get a bunch of elite, internationally renown faculties like LSE, UCL, KCL and Edinburgh. After that it's a mishmash. Warwick has a good name on this forum because of its strength in other fields and a good presence in competitive sectors like investment banking. It doesn't mean that it's clearly superior for law than other good regional universities like Bristol, Nottingham or Durham.

International rankings have their own drawbacks. Warwick doesn't look particularly amazing on them for law if you look at the universities it's ranked similarly to, especially when compared to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc.

Edit: No one can predict the future, but the faculties that have traditionally been strongest at law have continued to be strong today. There are some exceptions (Birmingham had one of the first law faculties and was seen as a lot stronger back when law wasn't seen as a traditionally 'worthy' subject).
Why is Birmingham not strong for law now? What factors make you think that?
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Birmingham is below Warwick on this list and that accords with where I see the brightest 18 year old going (with Warwick above Birmingham).
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.5%
I'm not sure (58)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (605)
48.48%

Watched Threads