hmm, advice, i don't know wht to do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my neighbour has just passed his driving test (he has just turned 19) and he is now helping his sister who has just turned 17 learn to drive in his car. she is driving it, and he is giving instruction. i don't think this is legal is it? wht shall i do?
AHKS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my neighbour has just passed his driving test (he has just turned 19) and he is now helping his sister who has just turned 17 learn to drive in his car. she is driving it, and he is giving instruction. i don't think this is legal is it? wht shall i do?
To instruct you must be over 21. I suggest you speak to him in a non-confrontational way and just ask if he knows you need to be 21. If he says he does and does not care then think about reporting him, but he might just not realise he is not allowed to do this.
Don't just leave it though. If an accident happened and you had not done anything you would find that hard to deal with.
jackwinch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AHKS)
To instruct you must be over 21. I suggest you speak to him in a non-confrontational way and just ask if he knows you need to be 21. If he says he does and does not care then think about reporting him, but he might just not realise he is not allowed to do this.
Don't just leave it though. If an accident happened and you had not done anything you would find that hard to deal with.
Actually, you have to be a minimum of 21 years of age and have held a valid EU or UK drivers license for 3 years or more. So this is certainly not legal and needs to be put to a stop.

Your sister's insurance will not be valid. If she is caught by the police or has an accident, then this will come to light. She may end up being fined and banned from driving before she even gets her license. The risk is just not worth it.
AHKS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jackwinch)
Actually, you have to be a minimum of 21 years of age and have held a valid EU or UK drivers license for 3 years or more. So this is certainly not legal and needs to be put to a stop.

Your sister's insurance will not be valid. If she is caught by the police or has an accident, then this will come to light. She may end up being fined and banned from driving before she even gets her license. The risk is just not worth it.
It's his sister not the poster's.
jackwinch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah, thanks for the correction. In that case, OP, raise the fact that what they're doing is not legal to the both of them, politely, and if they don't care then f**k them. If they continue to do what they're doing afterwards and they are caught, then they'll just have to live with the consequences.

Personally, if they decide to continue, I would absolutely consider reporting them. These requirements are in place to try to reduce accidents and increase road safety. Any evidence which you can safely and legally acquire will help both the police and CPS to act on your report. I would recommend taking video footage of them driving on a public highway (could be the road in front of your house), making sure your footage clearly captures the faces of the driver and passenger and the vehicle's registration number.

Most counties have a website which allows people to report traffic offences with this kind of evidence (just have a Google). They will explain the reporting process, what is expected of you at the time of your report and what may be expected of you in the future (e.g., court appearances, etc). Be aware, however, that it is likely action will be taken against both parties if the video evidence submitted clearly captures the crime, the participants and the requirements for evidence submission are met. So from a social perspective, you too might have to live with some consequences for your actions (e.g., hostility from your neighbors, etc).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by jackwinch)
Ah, thanks for the correction. In that case, OP, raise the fact that what they're doing is not legal to the both of them, politely, and if they don't care then f**k them. If they continue to do what they're doing afterwards and they are caught, then they'll just have to live with the consequences.

Personally, if they decide to continue, I would absolutely consider reporting them. These requirements are in place to try to reduce accidents and increase road safety. Any evidence which you can safely and legally acquire will help both the police and CPS to act on your report. I would recommend taking video footage of them driving on a public highway (could be the road in front of your house), making sure your footage clearly captures the faces of the driver and passenger and the vehicle's registration number.

Most counties have a website which allows people to report traffic offences with this kind of evidence (just have a Google). They will explain the reporting process, what is expected of you at the time of your report and what may be expected of you in the future (e.g., court appearances, etc). Be aware, however, that it is likely action will be taken against both parties if the video evidence submitted clearly captures the crime, the participants and the requirements for evidence submission are met. So from a social perspective, you too might have to live with some consequences for your actions (e.g., hostility from your neighbors, etc).
(Original post by AHKS)
I told both him and his parents who live with him in a very unconfrontational way and just said, not sure if your aware or not, but its not legal and blah blah blah, etc and was nice about it and said ya know im not trying to ruin their fun, just don't want to them to get in trouble and the parents told me to f off and keep my beak out and mind my own business. How would i go about reporting them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed