Adam3568
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to do a law degree at a top uni. I have picked biology chemistry Spanish geography. Am I doing the right a levels ?
Adam3568
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Anyone ?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. As long as you think you can get decent grades in them then they're fine, you don't need specific A-levels to study law.
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, those are great as they are four traditional (facilitating i.e. quite hard) A levels. Even just two facilitating ones plus 2 other respected ones is fine.

Traditionally English and History were good for law and remain so if you will get good grades in them as lawyers write letters, contracts etc every day and both those A levels are essay based. I did English, History and German A levels and am a lawyer.

Avoid newer subjects like law A level, business studies etc
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
Yes, those are great as they are four traditional (facilitating i.e. quite hard) A levels. Even just two facilitating ones plus 2 other respected ones is fine.

Traditionally English and History were good for law and remain so if you will get good grades in them as lawyers write letters, contracts etc every day and both those A levels are essay based. I did English, History and German A levels and am a lawyer.

Avoid newer subjects like law A level, business studies etc
What makes you say this?
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure which bit you mean but generally you need high exam grades in good subjects to get into law so picking well regarded A level subjects is a good idea. Although in theory last year the facilitating subject lists were "abolished" they still remain good lists eg see http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/.

If you were asking why was I saying only 2 facilitating and 2 (or one) other that is not is fine that is just because that is true. In fact if someone will not get high grades doing 4 A levels they are better off doing 3. If they will get high grades in 4 then do 4.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
Not sure which bit you mean but generally you need high exam grades in good subjects to get into law so picking well regarded A level subjects is a good idea. Although in theory last year the facilitating subject lists were "abolished" they still remain good lists eg see http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/.

If you were asking why was I saying only 2 facilitating and 2 (or one) other that is not is fine that is just because that is true. In fact if someone will not get high grades doing 4 A levels they are better off doing 3. If they will get high grades in 4 then do 4.
I was referring to the part clearly highlighted in bold - Avoiding the 'newer' A-level choices.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adam3568)
I want to do a law degree at a top uni. I have picked biology chemistry Spanish geography. Am I doing the right a levels ?
Hi Adam3568

These A levels are fine for Law, the most important thing is that you enjoy them and think you will do well in them. As universities mostly look at what grades you got rather then the specific subjects for Law.

If you have an idea of what uni's you are interested in you can look on their websites to see the requirements etc.

Good luck!

Zaira
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For some reason there is no bold on my screen.

The newer subjects give students fewer choices and can limit their options at university entrance stage and might not look impressive to someone who is quite old and recruiting them later. Also some of them are easier too. Anyway that's a side topic. For the person posting those 4 traditional subjects are very good although none require essays and writing emails to clients and advice does put ability to write above a lot of other skills which is why traditionally things like English and History were and remain fairly good choices for law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (43)
15.69%
I'm not sure (8)
2.92%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (98)
35.77%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.46%
I'm not a current university student (121)
44.16%

Watched Threads