Midwifery at Coventry- course structure

Watch
agriffin1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m looking at studying midwifery in 2021 at Coventry but I am struggling to find the information on the course structure.... How is the course structured in terms of theory and placement, is it is blocked eg 6 weeks theory then 6 weeks placement or is it integrated so say 2 days theory, 2 days placement in the same week, every week? Thanks
Allyson2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by agriffin1)
Hi! I’m looking at studying midwifery in 2021 at Coventry but I am struggling to find the information on the course structure.... How is the course structured in terms of theory and placement, is it is blocked eg 6 weeks theory then 6 weeks placement or is it integrated so say 2 days theory, 2 days placement in the same week, every week? Thanks
Hi

I never studied at Coventry but I will answer your question on midwifing placement & university ok.
You won't find course structure online usually as you will only get your timetable etc when you finally start your degree course for midwifing ok.

Majority of the UK universities will work similar to each other for this ok,

You basically answered the point about how many weeks you do at university & placements as its generally about 7 weeks at university for theory, studying, practical and then its same for your placements ok. As you do 3 placements in first & second years, and 2 placements in 3rd and final year.
But with situation with covid19 at present you may do less placements at beginning but they will make them up over the whole 3 years of course as need to complete 2300 hours of clinical practice with about same again at university as per NMC guidelines.

You don't do a mixture of placements & university in same week ok as I said above how it works.

On placements it can be either community or hospital based as if its hospital based then you will work either 3 split shifts ( eg 6am - 2pm / 2pm - 10pm & nightshift 10pm - 6am say ok ) from 5 out of 7 , or it maybe 3 x 12.5/13 hours shifts doing nightshift, weekend, dayshift with 4 days off - you generally work alongside your mentor when she/he is on shift .

Community based in GP surgeries are between 8am - 6pm ( or the working hours of the practice) with day of during week plus weekend free but possibility you may have to work alongside the community midwife and maybe on 24/7 call out with this but rarely happens.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by agriffin1)
Hi agriffin1,

If you go to the midwifery page on the Coventry University website (https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-st...fery-bsc-hons/) and click on the course detail tab at the top, on the right hand side there is a course specification .pdf. If you download that, its a large document detailing the whole course including how placements etc. are allocated. Hopefully this document should answer your questions

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.61%
I'm not sure (8)
2.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
35.26%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (156)
45.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise