amallbbyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently a year 13 student and I really wanted your honest and realistic opinions about applying to Oxford to study law.

I know that Law is a very competitive course with many students applying with top GCSE AS and A Level Results.

Unfortunately, my GCSE grades were not the best: I received grades 87766665 A*(ICT Ingots).
My AS Results were AAB and my predicted grades are A*A*A after working very hard last year.
I understand that the LNAT exams and personal statements are considered so hypothetically speaking if I performed above average in those too - considering all of those factors, would I stand a chance?

Oxford does prioritise GCSE's and so I wanted some realistic advice as to whether it would be worth applying or not because the applications are due in October so if there was a chance I could reconsider rescheduling everything for earlier. On the other hand, if I frankly didn't have a high chance of getting in, i could push my LNAT exams back and apply for other universities.

Another option I was thinking of was that if I received good A Level grades, I could take a gap year to reapply and in that gap year I could retake two of my GCSE exams which could push my grades to:
99876665 A*(ICT Ingots)

In that case, would it still be realistic to reapply? I know that this is quite lengthy.

Also, I was wondering if there are any colleges that don't prioritise GCSE's as strongly as others so that I could try to apply to those if it's better.

Thanks!!!!!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I'm applying to cam law this year so not exactly an expert but I do know some more general stuff.

Your GCSE grades aren't looked at as just numbers, your school and contextual info will be taken into account, if you are comfortably in the top half of your cohort then you stand a chance so definitely look into that.
you need a really good LNAT to get in, the average last year for Oxford was 27 so aim for that or higher. personal statements don't matter too much for oxbridge, as you interview but you cannot afford to write a bad one. Your A level predictions are fine.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With the weaker (by Oxford standards) GCSEs, and the need for an already very high LNAT score even before having to ameliorate less strong GCSEs, I'd suggest unless you have contextual flags that you look at Cambridge instead, as they don't really care as much about GCSEs as Oxford (although you still need a strong LNAT score).

I would clarify that in general your GCSE results are good, it's just that Oxford formally uses GCSEs as part of their shortlisting process for most subjects to determine who to invite to interview, along with any pre-interview admissions assessments (e.g. the LNAT). So there is more of a chance you might not even be interviewed if you apply to Oxford, compared to Cambridge (who tend to interview a slightly higher proportion of applicants but have higher grade requirements on offers and more deselection after interview than Oxford).
amallbbyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
With the weaker (by Oxford standards) GCSEs, and the need for an already very high LNAT score even before having to ameliorate less strong GCSEs, I'd suggest unless you have contextual flags that you look at Cambridge instead, as they don't really care as much about GCSEs as Oxford (although you still need a strong LNAT score).

I would clarify that in general your GCSE results are good, it's just that Oxford formally uses GCSEs as part of their shortlisting process for most subjects to determine who to invite to interview, along with any pre-interview admissions assessments (e.g. the LNAT). So there is more of a chance you might not even be interviewed if you apply to Oxford, compared to Cambridge (who tend to interview a slightly higher proportion of applicants but have higher grade requirements on offers and more deselection after interview than Oxford).
I wanted to apply for Cambridge because I heard the same about their GCSE's and I did a summer school there. The only problem is that they do the LNAT and their own Cambridge Aptitude Law exam and I simply do not have enough time to balance out my LNAT and the Cambridge exam.

I think if worst comes to worst, I'll take a gap year and reapply for Cambridge
amallbbyy
Rep:
?
okay just a quick update-
I've decided to pick Cambridge mainly because of my GCSE's and because I have relevant residentials at that university. I just have a question about whether they give you and interview after they give you an offer or before they give you an offer.
Also, when do you tend to do your exam -The Cambridge Law Test - and is it before or after your interview?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amallbbyy)
okay just a quick update-
I've decided to pick Cambridge mainly because of my GCSE's and because I have relevant residentials at that university. I just have a question about whether they give you and interview after they give you an offer or before they give you an offer.
Also, when do you tend to do your exam -The Cambridge Law Test - and is it before or after your interview?
Cambridge gives offers after interview, and you sit the test on the same day of your interview. Given the pandemic it may be slightly different but that's how its happened in previous years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed