The Student Room Group

Cambridge law - GCSE grades

I am currently a year 13 student and I really wanted your honest and realistic opinions about applying to Cambridge to study law.

I know that Law is a very competitive course with many students applying with top GCSE AS and A Level Results.

Unfortunately, my GCSE grades were not the best: I received grades 87766665 A*(ICT Ingots).
My AS Results were AAB and my predicted grades are A*A*A after working very hard last year.
I understand that the CLT exams and personal statements are considered so hypothetically speaking if I performed above average in those too - considering all of those factors, would I stand a chance?

Another option I was thinking of was that if I received good A Level grades/was 'pooled' I could take a gap year to reapply and in that gap year I could retake two of my GCSE exams which could push my grades to:
99876665 A*(ICT Ingots)

Also, I was wondering if there are any colleges that don't prioritise GCSE's as strongly as others so that I could try to apply to those if it's better.

Thanks!!!!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
I'm sorry, I think the reason people haven't replied is because they didn't want to sound negative. Your GCSE results are significantly worse than the average successful Oxford applicant (you can google the stats) and I don't think you'd have much chance at all without some unusual personal circumstances (e.g. moved to the UK in Year 9 not really speaking English).
You could have a go but put some other good universities down too which would be fine for law too, but perhaps try not for law and change to law after graduating as law is harder to get into in most places than some other degree subjects.
Original post by amallbbyy
I am currently a year 13 student and I really wanted your honest and realistic opinions about applying to Oxford to study law.

I know that Law is a very competitive course with many students applying with top GCSE AS and A Level Results.

Unfortunately, my GCSE grades were not the best: I received grades 87766665 A*(ICT Ingots).
My AS Results were AAB and my predicted grades are A*A*A after working very hard last year.
I understand that the LNAT exams and personal statements are considered so hypothetically speaking if I performed above average in those too - considering all of those factors, would I stand a chance?

Oxford does prioritise GCSE's and so I wanted some realistic advice as to whether it would be worth applying or not because the applications are due in October so if there was a chance I could reconsider rescheduling everything for earlier. On the other hand, if I frankly didn't have a high chance of getting in, i could push my LNAT exams back and apply for other universities.

Another option I was thinking of was that if I received good A Level grades, I could take a gap year to reapply and in that gap year I could retake two of my GCSE exams which could push my grades to:
99876665 A*(ICT Ingots)

In that case, would it still be realistic to reapply? I know that this is quite lengthy.

Also, I was wondering if there are any colleges that don't prioritise GCSE's as strongly as others so that I could try to apply to those if it's better.

Thanks!!!!!

I have asked for your thread to be moved to the Law forum as the question about GCSEs for Oxford Law has been asked there several times. The stats show that your GCSEs are very much on the low side for Oxford (fine for other good unis of course). If Oxbridge is of interest, have you considered applying to Cambridge instead as they do not put such emphasis on GCSEs and don't require the LNAT so you could take it later for the other unis?

Other than that I think you would be better off applying elsewhere tbh, unless you want to take the risk despite knowing that your chances are slim. You could also consider applying to other unis but taking a gap year if you were to get the extremely high grades you are predicted in order to apply to Oxford for 2022, although even then there would be no guarantee that you would get an offer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
I have asked for your thread to be moved to the Law forum as the question about GCSEs for Oxford Law has been asked there several times. The stats show that your GCSEs are very much on the low side for Oxford (fine for other good unis of course). If Oxbridge is of interest, have you considered applying to Cambridge instead as they do not put such emphasis on GCSEs and don't require the LNAT so you could take it later for the other unis?

Other than that I think you would be better off applying elsewhere tbh, unless you want to take the risk despite knowing that your chances are slim. You could also consider applying to other unis but taking a gap year if you were to get the extremely high grades you are predicted in order to apply to Oxford for 2022, although even then there would be no guarantee that you would get an offer.

hi t
I've decided to apply to cambridge because I have done a relevant summer school there for law and they put less emphasis on GCSE's rather than Oxford. I'm still applying to other universities but I would be gutted if I didn't at least try to get accepted haha.
So regardless of the outcome, I won't be too upset knowing that I tried my hardest despite the fact that my chances are slim.

Perhaps if I were to get 'pooled' at Cambridge, knowing that I was so close to getting accepted I could take a gap year.

thanks for the honest words tho haha
hi t
I've decided to apply to cambridge because I have done a relevant summer school there for law and they put less emphasis on GCSE's rather than Oxford. I'm still applying to other universities but I would be gutted if I didn't at least try to get accepted haha.
So regardless of the outcome, I won't be too upset knowing that I tried my hardest despite the fact that my chances are slim.

Perhaps if I were to get 'pooled' at Cambridge, knowing that I was so close to getting accepted I could take a gap year.

thanks for the honest words tho haha

Your predictions look unlikely given your AS grades ...
Original post by Muttley79

No they don’t
Reply 8

The highest grade that you can achieve in AS is an A grade therefore my AAB equates to an A*A*A
The highest grade that you can achieve in AS is an A grade therefore my AAB equates to an A*A*A

No it doesn't - why would all your grades go up - AS is much easier - I'd predict AAB amd so would most schools. Given your GCSE grades most unis will also think the same.
Reply 10
No it doesn't - why would all your grades go up - AS is much easier - I'd predict AAB amd so would most schools. Given your GCSE grades most unis will also think the same.

Yes it does. Search it up. You don't know me nor what grades I could achieve. I had extenuating circumstances for my GCSE's and irrespective of that it's impossible to get an A* in AS. Officially, there is no A*. 90% UMS is still an A
A* can only be achieved at A2 - you can't type into UCAS 'A* at AS'.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes it does. Search it up. You don't know me nor what grades I could achieve. I had extenuating circumstances for my GCSE's and irrespective of that it's impossible to get an A* in AS. Officially, there is no A*. 90% UMS is still an A

I know there's no A* but you sat no exam this year did you? I think those predictions will seem too high in relation to your AS grades and your GCSEs - I hope you have some unis asking for AAB among your choices.
Reply 12
I know there's no A* but you sat no exam this year did you? I think those predictions will seem too high in relation to your AS grades and your GCSEs - I hope you have some unis asking for AAB among your choices.

The predictions don't seem too high in regards to my AS grade as I've stated before my grades equate to an A*A*A and that is exactly what I have been predicted.
My teachers know me very well and I too know that I am capable of achieving those grades.
Once again I will stress that I had extenuating circumstances in my GCSE's which affected me greatly but despite that managed to focus this year, get high AS grades, good predictions and hopefully the success continues.
No - I have a university asking for AAA just in case but nevertheless I should be able to meet those grades.
The predictions don't seem too high in regards to my AS grade as I've stated before my grades equate to an A*A*A and that is exactly what I have been predicted.
My teachers know me very well and I too know that I am capable of achieving those grades.
Once again I will stress that I had extenuating circumstances in my GCSE's which affected me greatly but despite that managed to focus this year, get high AS grades, good predictions and hopefully the success continues.
No - I have a university asking for AAA just in case but nevertheless I should be able to meet those grades.

I say again that most schools would not predict this from AAB - particularly as you did not take the exams. You need a lower offer than AAA as one of your 5.
Reply 14
I say again that most schools would not predict this from AAB - particularly as you did not take the exams. You need a lower offer than AAA as one of your 5.

I have already received my predictions of A*A*A
(edited 3 years ago)
Just have a go and keep an open mind and have a range of choices amongst your 5 including Cambridge and be tactical eg some subjects are easier to get into than law and half of lawyers even at the best first do not do law for their first degree so don't feel you have to.

Someone who gets 3 As in AS doesn’t get predicted AAA in A level
Original post by Panjsuce
Someone who gets 3 As in AS doesn’t get predicted AAA in A level

In a normal year where the exams are modular [they aren't in England] and they got 90% then an A* might be predicted but AAA on easier AAA does not translate to A*s on harder content. This year the papers weren't even taken ...

UMS does not exist for linear A levels (neither technically does A2) - there are no set grade boundaries for any grade. You're right that its not possible to get more than an A in AS, but there is still a big difference between getting an A at AS and an A* at A level and a grade up on every AS grade is a generous prediction.
Reply 19
Thank you! I'll keep an open mind and even if I don't get accepted I won't be too gutted knowing that at least I tried
Original post by 17Student17
Just have a go and keep an open mind and have a range of choices amongst your 5 including Cambridge and be tactical eg some subjects are easier to get into than law and half of lawyers even at the best first do not do law for their first degree so don't feel you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending