archie1254
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,I am looking to apply for US unis such as Stanford, Penn, Princeton, Columbia, UC Berkely, Chicago and UCLA.My A level predicted are 3 A*GCSEs are five 9s four 8s and a 7 (so 9 A*s and 1 A)I also row at a top school and am likely to apply for a lightweight scholarship. what are my chances of getting into somewhere like Stanford?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by archie1254)
Hi,I am looking to apply for US unis such as Stanford, Penn, Princeton, Columbia, UC Berkely, Chicago and UCLA.My A level predicted are 3 A*GCSEs are five 9s four 8s and a 7 (so 9 A*s and 1 A)I also row at a top school and am likely to apply for a lightweight scholarship. what are my chances of getting into somewhere like Stanford?
I imagine it varies if your rowing is good enough to garner a scholarship this may well also impact acceptance, some of these schools are in the Power-5 US sports divisons (Berkely, Stanford, UCLA). The Ivy league isnt a "power 5" conference but if they recruit rowers this will help regardless.

On academics, what are your chances. its really impossible to say, applications are competitive even if you tick all the right boxes so to speak.

US applications look more broadly then UK unis, obviously excellent academics and SAT/ACT are a pre-requisite but what you do outside of uni has a bigger impact their.

The other thing is, if you dont receive a scholarship how do you intend to fund your studies. Princeton & a couple others here have exceptionally generous funding due to their endowment, however without scholarships/aid these unis cost a bomb like $50,000+/year (and then you have rent & board, living costs, food, flights, books...).
ry7xsfa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This really depends. US Universities care about more than just your grades. They also care about your application essays, letters of recommendation, and extracurriculars. You need to stand out in all areas - not just your grades - to be admitted to colleges of the type you mention. It's difficult to know your chances without knowing more information about you, and even with all of the info it's still difficult. Stanford had an acceptance rate of just 4.4% in 2019, meaning that even if you are perfectly qualified, there's no guarantee you will get in. US Universities like to build a well-rounded class that will fit into their campus community. Even if you have perfect grades and amazing essays, if the admissions office doesn't think you'll fit in well on campus, you won't get in.

It's also worth noting that, while all of the schools (except the UCs) that you have mentioned offer need-based financial aid to international students (that is to say, they will give financial support based on how much you can afford to pay - search CSS Profile), not all of them offer sports scholarships. Stanford is an NCAA Division I school, and as a result, it will offer these scholarships because its student-athletes compete at a high level. However, despite the Ivy League schools being NCAA Division I schools also, they do not offer athletic scholarships. You should check each university's website to find out what they offer in terms of financial assistance to international students.
archie1254
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
I imagine it varies if your rowing is good enough to garner a scholarship this may well also impact acceptance, some of these schools are in the Power-5 US sports divisons (Berkely, Stanford, UCLA). The Ivy league isnt a "power 5" conference but if they recruit rowers this will help regardless.

On academics, what are your chances. its really impossible to say, applications are competitive even if you tick all the right boxes so to speak.

US applications look more broadly then UK unis, obviously excellent academics and SAT/ACT are a pre-requisite but what you do outside of uni has a bigger impact their.

The other thing is, if you dont receive a scholarship how do you intend to fund your studies. Princeton & a couple others here have exceptionally generous funding due to their endowment, however without scholarships/aid these unis cost a bomb like $50,000+/year (and then you have rent & board, living costs, food, flights, books...).
I plan to apply for financial aid which I have already looked into. I have done a lot of cocurricular things in the past including coding, rowing, volunteering, charity work, music etc as I know this is really important to US Unis. Will not having done SATs disadvantage me even though you dont have to due to Covid?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I plan to apply for financial aid which I have already looked into. I have done a lot of cocurricular things in the past including coding, rowing, volunteering, charity work, music etc as I know this is really important to US Unis. Will not having done SATs disadvantage me even though you dont have to due to Covid?
I dont work in a US college admissions office, so im not sure exactly what effect not having done the SAT or ACT due to covid will have on an application. Your better off asking them directly as this is a one off event.

EDIT: You should also consider the financial impact covid will have on universities. Their will likely be less financial aid available and less students getting financial support.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads