The Student Room Group

Think the rtx 3080 launch was a scam as no where seemed to have much stock at all. Refreshed every site like a psycho at 2pm. By one minute past all gone. Not seen one person manage to get the fe so just thought id check here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pchim
Think the rtx 3080 launch was a scam as no where seemed to have much stock at all. Refreshed every site like a psycho at 2pm. By one minute past all gone. Not seen one person manage to get the fe so just thought id check here

New gen Nvidia flagships always sell out on release, and this has been Nvidia's launch for a long time. They were hit with enough traffic at launch to cause problems with the site. I don't think anyone is really surprised that they sold out within minutes.
Reply 2
8 seconds apparently it sold out!
q2ts6b8pyvn51.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pchim

No this is bog-standard for a product release like this. Was the case with 20xx, 10xx, and probably 9xx etc.

The starting price is hardly ever worth it (at least in comparison to the prices it drops to) tbh, I'd always wait a few months before diving in.
Original post by Pchim
Think the rtx 3080 launch was a scam

Not quite. A scam would be where you pay for something and don't get anything. You didn't pay anything, you've just learned how supply and demand works.
Hype and human malware giving people more free time has driven demand right up, the latter has driven up demand all year such that a lot of retailers have reported abnormally high sales all year to the extent that Q2 was much busier than a normal Q4. Newegg claims they had more site traffic yesterday at launch than they get on Black Friday morning and pretty much all retailers are securing more resources to try to handle the demand next week and for 3070 given pretty much nobody's servers survived the onslaught.

Personally I'm hoping that with the hype being killed a bit by this "soddy" launch, 3070 coming out, and hopefully big navi being competitive I might be able to pick up a 3080 FE either tail end of Q4 or early Q1 next year, if I can't get a FE card I will probably skip 30 series, the only thing that might sway me is if there is actually a good looking AIB 3080 on the market in 2 months and my 2080 struggles to achieve the performance I want in Cyberpunk in which case I would next day a AIB 3080 on 19/11 for the bulk of my cyberpunk playing.

Saying that I would generally quite like a 3080 FE to expand my collection of "first nvidia cards with new reference/FE cooler design"
(edited 3 years ago)
I see your polygons and raise you one Tech Jesus

It's the 3070 (or Big Navi equiv if AMD deliver) that I'm eyeing up, something that can let a high refresh rate 1440p monitor stretch its legs. I'm planning to be picking one up at the start of next year, when I've stockpiled some Amazon vouchers from a covid study and hopefully with some short PCB/ITX variants available.
Currently on a 1070.
And then you have me, looking at 3090s as a serious purchase
Original post by AcseI
And then you have me, looking at 3090s as a serious purchase

What, because day 1 availability of 3080 is at normal levels and you're too impatient to wait a few weeks? 3090 will almost certainly see the same problems
I assumed this thread would talk about the number 3080. :frown:
Original post by Jammy Duel
What, because day 1 availability of 3080 is at normal levels and you're too impatient to wait a few weeks? 3090 will almost certainly see the same problems

No, and I have no idea how you've come to that conclusion. I'm weighing up a 3080 vs 3090 but have no intention of making any purchases until November / December time at the earliest.
Original post by AcseI
No, and I have no idea how you've come to that conclusion. I'm weighing up a 3080 vs 3090 but have no intention of making any purchases until November / December time at the earliest.

Because the 3090 makes no sense unless prosumer bordering professional, impulse purchase, or buying it for the sake of saying you have the very best
Original post by Rufus the red
I assumed this thread would talk about the number 3080. :frown:

About the same as 2080, just with waaaaayyyyyy higher demand and fewer FE models making it look like there are barely any
Reply 16
Original post by AcseI
Not quite. A scam would be where you pay for something and don't get anything. You didn't pay anything, you've just learned how supply and demand works.

I meant that the fe one isnt pre order but msi is and that one is more money so after they hyped everyone up. And they didnt do more to protect bots from buying them all and im yet to actually find one person who got the fe. They also clearly didnt have as much stock as they should of even after their statement it seemed abit off with me as i didnt even see it launch on amazon and apparently in the us in shops they hadnt received the stock they were meant to get. Im new to all this so go easy on me 🙈🙈 i think after the disappointing launch people will turn to amd
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because the 3090 makes no sense unless prosumer bordering professional

Bingo!
Reply 18
I just wanted to see if anyone actually managed to get the fe as it seems only bots and influencers did. I hear that someone created a bot to bid $10000 on every single one selling on ebay to waste scalpers time :u:
Original post by Pchim
I meant that the fe one isnt pre order but msi is and that one is more money so after they hyped everyone up. And they didnt do more to protect bots from buying them all and im yet to actually find one person who got the fe. They also clearly didnt have as much stock as they should of even after their statement it seemed abit off with me as i didnt even see it launch on amazon and apparently in the us in shops they hadnt received the stock they were meant to get. Im new to all this so go easy on me 🙈🙈 i think after the disappointing launch people will turn to amd

The FE is just very scarce, they are expensive to make and nowhere near the sort of margin Nvidia wants. They are beastly coolers that match AIBs for better reviews, but they consequently aren't designed to be a fairly standard card like past reference designs/FEs.

Total 3080 stocks are more or less in line with previous generations though.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending