First pre-built you bought - specs, year, price, events

Watch
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just made a post remembering my first pre-built, now I'm interested.

We all started somewhere... so let's have a laugh.

Year: 2006-ish

Bought From: Currys (an office PC store)

Price: £350

Branding: HP

CPU: Pentium D 2.80Ghz dual core

Cooler: No idea!

Motherboard: No idea!

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

RAM: 1GB

PSU: One that died.

Storage: HDD that was big enough

Drives: DVD-RW and Floppy

RGB: No.

Case sexiness rating: 2/10 - The standard black rounded HP / Walmart design

Miscellaneous:

Why the hell did you buy it?: I was impressed by the 2.8 GHz speed and NVIDIA graphics, at such a cheap price!

Did anything die or go wrong?: After a few years, I think I got a surge (my extension's surge protector started buzzing...) then my PC just turned off. There might've been a pop. So my PSU died, but it didn't take anything with it!

Did you (and how did you) upgrade it into respectability?: For a price, my more knowledgable friend fixed it by telling me what PSU to buy (and pointed me toward Bit-Tech Forums! See?)... by the end the only thing kept was the hard drive. Not even the case!

Where is it now? I kept the old parts as 'backup' though never needed to so I'll sell or bin them. (I kept my upgraded version in case I ever needed it to play XP games but never used it, and the case and PSU is now used for a Windows 98 build.)

===============================

Year:
Bought From:
Price:
Branding:
CPU:
Cooler:
Motherboard:
GPU:
RAM:
PSU:
Storage:
RGB:
Case sexiness rating:
Miscellaneous:
Why the hell did you buy it?:
Did anything die or go wrong?:
Did you (and how did you) upgrade it into respectability?:
Where is it now?:
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 1 month ago
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The one and only prebuilt I've ever owned was a slim Acer desktop. It was running Windows Vista, which implies I got it some time between 2007 and 2009. No dedicated GPU, and I'd wager it was something like a Core 2 Processor with 2/4GB of RAM based on that timeframe. There was nothing wrong with it per se, it did what I needed which at the time was basic word processing. But it wasn't realistically something that could be upgraded, nor was it worth upgrading.

It would be another 5 or so years before I ended up with my first custom machine, running a 4570, 8GB, a 128GB SSD and a GTX 760. And I've spiralled into madness ever since.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First pre-built?

Never purchased a pre-built myself, never had one for personal use either, always shared use and the last one I used was so long ago I have literally zero hope of remembering the specs. Always had laptops growing up though, but as my personal rig is now coming up on 6 years old, again, the specs of any of those laptops are just completely forgotten. Best I can give you is that it was some sort of Red HP Laptop, most likely a Pavillion 15
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
I just made a post remembering my first pre-built, now I'm interested.

We all started somewhere... so let's have a laugh.
So long ago that X86 and windows were not even a thing .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.59%
I'm not sure (45)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (306)
29.77%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (500)
48.64%

Watched Threads