lovescience2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am struggling to work out part b for this question:

A particle is projected horizontally at 40ms^-1 from a point P, which is h metres above a horizontal plane. The particle hits the plane a horizontal distance of 100m from P. Work out:

a) the time taken for the particle to land (i worked out it was 2.5s)

b) the value of h
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovescience2002)
I am struggling to work out part b for this question:

A particle is projected horizontally at 40ms^-1 from a point P, which is h metres above a horizontal plane. The particle hits the plane a horizontal distance of 100m from P. Work out:

a) the time taken for the particle to land (i worked out it was 2.5s)

b) the value of h
It's a suvat question, where you consider the horizontal and vertical motion seperately. What have you tried?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
lovescience2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
It's a suvat question, where you consider the horizontal and vertical motion seperately. What have you tried?
I tried doing s=ut + 1/2at^2 using s=? u=40 a= 9.8 t=0 which would give an answer of 0, but that is incorrect
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovescience2002)
I tried doing s=ut + 1/2at^2 using s=? u=40 a= 9.8 t=0 which would give an answer of 0, but that is incorrect
Yes, the u=40 is the horizontal velocity and g=-9.8 is the vertical acceleration. They must be considered in separate suvat equations. You can't combine them like that. Also t is generally the time to cover a displacement s, not 0.
Draw a diagram, and think about the horizontal motion for the first part. Which suvat terms do you know and which do you need to calculate?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.09%

Watched Threads